Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lesson Observation

:o Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you would be kind enough to give me some ideas for an observation that is looming after half term!

The focus has to be PSRN and our topic is birthdays.

Id love a really good idea as a starter for an activity to really engage the children. Im not sure whether to focus on shape or number.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

xxx

Edited by Guest

Hello.

Last year I did a numeracy activity on birthdays with playdough and birthday candles. I made birthday cards with numerals 1-15 and put them into envelopes.

Each child made a birthday cake with the dough, then chose an envelope, they opened it and would put the corresponding amount of candles to the numeral on the card.

Once they opened another card it was a good opportunity for calculating: e.g. do you need more or less candles now? How many more/less? What do you need to do, add or take away?

The children really enjoyed it as it was planned from observations of their spontaneous making of dough 'birthday cakes' . After my input, I left the resources on the table for a couple of days to see if the children would spontaneouly add or take away. (When the candles broke, I substituted them with cut up straws).

Good luck with your observation. :o

WOW thats a lovely idea Millhill, might have to use that one. My kids im sure would love that. any otherideas for pasrn would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou littlemisssunshine for starting this thread

xx

I didn't for that particular lesson, but perhaps you could model it to whole class for intro.

I have just made up this pp presentation (I don't have smartboard notebook anymore :o ). If put on IWB (without viewing as a slide show) the children can move the candles onto the cake.

birthday_cake.ppt

Children could come up, choose an envelope (they love that bit) open it to see the age of whoever you have chosen ( a teddy or a toy) then put candles onto the cake. Leave the candles on for the next child (who should be a higher ability) who can then decide whether they need to add or take away candles that were left on the cake.

You could then explain that they can make their own cakes with play dough etc...... If you have too many children wanting to do it (which I did!!) you could give those who you cannot accommodate a sticker with a B (for birthday) written on to let them know they will be doing the activity later.

Thankyou! What alovely resources and idea... I will let you know how I get on.

Unfortunately, I don't have an IWB in my class :o so I could get a real cake and real candles??

xx

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally planned the lesson for this week and would like your opinions please?

I will begin by simply reminding the children of the party they have been invited to later on in the week and count out party hats/cups/bags/balloons up to 10.

For the main activities I will have my TA working with the LA groups to make playdough cakes with ten candles, another adult working with groups to fill party bags with ten sweets and I will work with my HA group outside, creating a number track to 15/20 and matching up the corresponding gift boxes to the number tile by counting out how many counters are in each?

What do you think?

Im not sure whether I should be outide during the observation but we normally rotate and I fee that the HA need to be extended and its more of a physical activity?

Please, please, advice would be appreciated!

xxx

Just wanted to thank Millhill for the lovely idea with the dough, candles and birthday cards I adapted this and used the idea for my PM lesson observation last week and I got an outstanding judgement!! Thank you x

Hi

This is the first time that I have posted on here as I am new to the forum. Just wanted to say that I too adapted some of the ideas from here for my observation last week. The children loved all of the activities and I too got an outstanding! So thank you all - it's great to be part of a great network. I hope that I can post something soon that others will find useful! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)