Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

More About Getting Men Involved

Upsy Daisy

Very interesting reading. Mmy husband has been quite hands on as he works shifts so he is around to do schools runs, he often takes my daughter and her friends to Rainbows. He will do the nursery run next term and doesn't feel embarrassed in the school playground (he is a bit of a charmer with the ladies). It was also a bit of a deal if i was going back to work part time that he had to help out and be involved.

At the nursery my son will go to there is a male nursery nurse. But from experience there seems to be even less male's in primary schools. My daughters school has gone from having a male head and about 3 male teachers to no male teachers at all or male head.

Thought I'd add this here rather than start a new thread: They discussed the lack of male teachers in primary schools and nurseries, and the effect it can have on the children, on Woman's hour today on radio four.

"Despite a gradual increase in interest over the past five years, men still only account for 15 per cent of teaching staff in primary schools. Some primary and nursery schools have no men at all. We are used to hearing about the impact this might have on boys, but what sort of effect is this having on girls? Jenni is joined by former head teacher and senior lecturer in counselling, Phil Goss, to discuss"

You can listen again here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n4k2j Forward it on to 12 min 40, unless you want to listen to an interview with Leona Lewis :o

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...
Thought I'd add this here rather than start a new thread: They discussed the lack of male teachers in primary schools and nurseries, and the effect it can have on the children, on Woman's hour today on radio four.

"Despite a gradual increase in interest over the past five years, men still only account for 15 per cent of teaching staff in primary schools. Some primary and nursery schools have no men at all. We are used to hearing about the impact this might have on boys, but what sort of effect is this having on girls? Jenni is joined by former head teacher and senior lecturer in counselling, Phil Goss, to discuss"

You can listen again here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n4k2j Forward it on to 12 min 40, unless you want to listen to an interview with Leona Lewis :o

I'd love the chance to work in a school that was male dominated. Perhaps let women working in early years/primary education the chance to experience how that feels?

Only a small thought..

Only a small thought..

It might be small, but a bit revolutionary, I think. I've worked in a male-dominated office before, but I really can't imagine what it might be like to work in a school or other early years setting where there are so few women staff that their toilet is used as extra storage (as was the experience of the only male teacher in my chidlren's infant school).

Would be very interesting - Betty Boothroyd was saying recently that she disapproves of all-women parliamentary candidate selection lists. How would we feel if there was positive discrimination in order to attract greater numbers of men into early years?

Just another small thought...!

Maz

• 4 months later...

It's different to work in a female dominated environment. Although this does seem to the one of the reasons women feel happy to enter early years education. No men around..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)