Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reflections - Reflection Count screens

There are three different reflection count screens that are available on Tapestry, these are: Individual, Group and Staff. The Individual and Group screens will show you how many tags have been used in reflections for individual children or specific groups. The Staff screen will allow you to see the tags used in reflections by specific members of staff. I'll go through all three types of screen in this tutorial. 

To access these screens, you just need to click on the 'Tracking' tab at the top of the screen, select 'Reflections' from the menu and then in the 'Reflection Counts' section you will need to choose either: Individual, Group and Staff (3). I'm going to start by looking at the Individual screen. 

image.png

Individual Reflection Count screen

Now that you're on the Individual screen, you are given some comparison options (1). These are:

• No Comparison = you will just see how many reflections an individual child has for a tag set 
  • Compare Tags for Children = this allows you to select up to 4 children to compare how many reflections they have for a tag set 
  • Compare Periods of Time = this will allow you to select up to 4 periods of time to compare for an individual child. A period of time can be a specific assessment period, a full history or a custom period set by yourself

For now, I'll leave it with no comparison, but I'll show you later in the tutorial what the other options look like.

Next you can select the child (2), period of time (3) and reflection status (4) you want to view. You will also need to select a tag set (5). 

2019-05-14_14-09-52.png

After selecting a child and tag set, you will then be given the option of narrowing down the tag set by any categories it has. In this case as I've selected the tag as 'EYLF outcomes', I can narrow it down by each outcome (1). If you do choose to refine by a category you can then also refine by any sub-categories; for now I'm not going to select an outcome, but I will come back and show you what this would look like. 

In the chart, at the top, you can see the total number of reflections for this child for the tag set you have selected (2). Underneath this you can see how many reflections they have for each category within the tag set (3). 

You can export this screen at any time by clicking on the 'PDF' button in the top right-hand corner above the chart (4). 

2019-05-14_14-32-33.png

If I now go back and select a category, in this case an outcome (1), you'll then see you are presented with the option of refining by sub-category (2). You can narrow down each tag set until it's not possible to refine them any further. For EYLF Outcomes the last thing you can refine them by is indicators (3). 

Now in the chart, at the top, you will see the sub-category you have chosen as well as the total number of reflections for that sub-category (4). Below this you can see the number of reflections for each indicator (5). 

2019-05-14_15-23-00.png

If I now go and select the 'Compare Tags For Children' option (1), you will see that I am presented with the option to choose up to 4 children to compare (2).

If you do want to compare the reflection counts for 4 children, you might find it useful to narrow down the chart by a category, as this will allow you to see the results more clearly. In this case you could narrow down by outcome (3) and sub-outcome (4). I'm going to leave it with just an outcome selected, but if I chose a sub-outcome, I could then further refine this by indicator. 

After selecting the additional children, you will see a key above the chart which will show you which colour in the chart represents each child (5). In the chart itself you will then be able to see and compare the reflection counts for the children you have selected (6). 

If you were to choose the 'compare periods of time' option instead, you would just need to select 4 periods of time to compare for an individual child. 

2019-05-15_09-21-27.png

So, that's the Individual Reflection Count screen, now let's move on to the Group view one.

Group Reflection Count screen

You can access this if you are already on the individual screen just by clicking on the 'Group' tab at the top of the screen. Otherwise you can access it from the Tracking section at the top of the screen; my instructions at the beginning of the tutorial will explain this to you. 

2019-05-14_16-42-27.png

On this screen you will see you also have the option to select a comparison or not. In this case the options are to view one group of children, compare groups of children or compare periods of time for one group of children (1). For this tutorial I'm going to compare groups of children, but if you only wanted to view one group or you wanted periods of time, you would just need to select the appropriate option.

You can select up to four groups of children from the 'Children' section (2). To select a group, you just need to click on the 'Click to add children' button. 

2019-05-15_11-03-06.png

When you select the 'Click to add children' button, you will then get a pop-up where you can select a group of children (1).

Here you also have the option to select multiple groups from the different options. If you do this, then the children in these groups will appear on this screen as one group. If you have selected multiple groups to appear as one, you can give this group a name, which you can do from the top field (2). Please note this group won't become one of your permanent manual groups on Tapestry, if you do want to add a permanent group, this tutorial will talk you through how to do this. 

Once you have selected the group/s you want to view, you just need to click 'Submit' (3). 

2019-05-15_11-24-16.png

After choosing the group/s of children you want to see and/or compare, you will then need to choose a period of time (1), what status of reflection you want to contribute (2), and you can then refine this by tag set and any further categories (3). 

2019-05-15_11-26-48.png

At the top of the chart you have created from your selection, you can see a key showing you which colour each group is represented by (1) and in the chart itself you can see the total number of reflections for the tag set, or if you have selected a category then it will be the total number for that category (2). Under this you can see how many reflections each individual category or sub-category has (3). 

Remember, you can export the chart at any point from the 'PDF' button (4). 

2019-05-15_11-40-04.png

Finally, let's look at the staff screen. 

Staff Reflection Count Screen

To get to this screen you can either select the 'Staff' button if you are on either the Individual or Group Reflection Count screens or you can access it from the Tracking tab from my instructions at the beginning of this tutorial. 

2019-05-15_11-46-03.png

Once you arrive on this screen you can choose whether you want to use it to see a comparison either of staff members or for one staff member over periods of time (1). For this tutorial I've selected to compare periods of time. If you only want the reflections for certain children to contribute towards the staff's reflection count, you can select a group of children from the 'Children' filters (2). 

Next you will need to pick which member of staff you want to view (3). If you've chosen to compare staff members then you will be able to choose up to 4. 

As I've chosen to compare periods of time, I can select up to four, but if you haven't then you can just choose one (4). 

Finally, you will need to decide whether you want all types of reflection status to contribute (5) and what tag set you want to focus on (6). 

2019-05-15_11-52-16.png

Once you have made your selection from the above options, if you have chosen to compare staff members or periods of time, you will see a key at the top of the chart showing you which each colour represents (1). In the chart you can see how many reflections staff have made for each tag set or tag category/sub-category you have selected to view (2).

To export the chart, you just need to click on the 'PDF' button in the top right-hand corner (3). 

2019-05-15_12-19-43.png

That's all three reflections count screens explained. I hope you find them useful! 

Go back to Main Tutorials Page