Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2D shapes observation problem solving

Trying to think of an exciting problem solving activity for the HA which would link into this. My LA will go round school looking for shapes and will take photographs of them. Thought of hiding shapes outside and making a tally chart, shaving foam shapes and shape roads. Any tried and tested ideas out there. Thank you

I spy shapes round the room on the playground (we have markings but you could chalk them), shape bingo game, tissue paper shapes, drawing round shapes, printing with shaped coloured blocks, musical shapes ie dancing then when music stops go to the mat that has a circle on it, building with 2d/3d shapes, drawing shapes in wet sand or foam or in the air with ribbons..just a few we do.

don't forget to ask families to save all the lovely boxes and packaging from Christmas gifts too................Toblerone triangular boxes, some shops last year had bath lotion in bauble-shaped bottles...................it's a very rich time for great resources , all free and saving landfill :)

I have recently used the ideas on the creative star web site and the rainbow sticks described to make and describe both 2D and 3D shapes. The 3D shapes were quite challenging but we got there in the end! With lots of masking tape! Ps my first post after having been a member for many years!!

• Like 4

At preschool some of our older children were supplied with string, lollypop sticks and some laminated shapes. They used the materials to see if they could make their own shapes. Some placed them carefully around the outside of the laminated shape others made different sized shapes using lots of sticks. Some found out they couldn't make a circle using the sticks.

I had fabulous carpet tile material shapes that I used for tessellation and I recall using a giant Elmer outline which the children had to fill with the shapes - this was the problem and solving it required discussions about the different properties of the 2d shapes and how they would fit to fill the space leaving as little unfilled as possible.

Cx

I used to do a shape train 'song' chugging along and then speeding up with a nice long whistle at the end. I had the shapes on the carpet and then children picked each one up as they said the rhyme. Even better if you can read 'The Little Red Train' first!

square-square-square-square-circle-circle-circle-circle-triangle-triangle-triangle-rectangle-rectangle-rectangle-pentagon-pentagon -pentagon-hexagon-hexagon-hexagon-STAR!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)