Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help tutor says I can't do planned research project

SewandSew

Help, I had a tutorial yesterday for my reseach project and had started work on How gender affects play. My tutor was not keen and said I can't do it ,she gave many reasons. I am a bit angry as I have started work, bought books and have lost time, hand in is in Severn weeks. She suggested I do The benefits of risky play. I am now lost at having to start again. I need to do a questionnaire and can't think of any good questions and plan other research.

Please help I need to get back on track.

Oh dear :(

I'm sure you've already done a search for 'risky play' and found that there's a lot out there!

For a start, why not go through the Development Matters guidance and see how risky play can support the areas of learning, from children negotiating new physical skills, to growing in confidence when they've achieved them.

How does your setting support children making decisions about risk?

You could also look at practitioner's personal views on risk.does this affect how they allow/deter children's play? is their opinion based on personal experience........... were they prevented from indulging in risky play? did they, or someone they know have an accident as a result of such play?Maybe investigate how older people ( grandparents etc) were able to play, and compare it with today's freedoms. I was allowed to play and roam anywhere, was responsible for my sister all day, took her on bus trips to local swimming pools where we spent all day without an adult in charge of us. We climbed into caves, played in an old war vehicle site ( in Cyprus, we were there after the troubles of the 50's.....the old landing craft and huge rolls of cables etc made a fabulous playground!)....................pretty much nothing that we were banned from doing ( and if we were, we did it anyway, so long as no-one saw us)

Look at parent's fears........look at local council play areas, ROSPA's view of things, Play England..............

and then look at statistics to see how many councils etc were taken to court over children's injuries etc in play areas. When I did this topic, the figure was very interesting ;)

Edited by narnia
  • Like 1

I would also suggest using the material you have started with. Does gender affect choices for risky play? Is it considered that boys doper physical play than girls. It could be that your research that you have started is more balanced towards the risky play. Good luck with it.

It will be a good piece of work to share with colleagues to challenge their understanding of play.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)