Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maintained nursery opening it's doors to funded 2yr olds

Hi I'm based in a non academy school caring for 3-7 yr olds in Cornwall, the head of the school is under the understanding that now the 2yr old funding is claimed in the same way as the 3 and 4yr old funding and that as we have a 'good' ofsted outcome we can start providing care for 2yr olds in sept 2014 (it would run alongside the maintained nursery but in a separate space). Surely the head would need to inform ofsted or change its registration in some way. Any help would be much appreciated.

You can take 2 yr olds currently in schools (maintained and i think academy etc anyway) in these ways:

In the term they turn 3 - no need to register separately

By using their powers to lower the age range of the school intake - but would currently need to register with ofsted as under 3's provision.

By providing for 2 year olds through another provider who would need to be registered through community something or another powers.

The Govt is going to remove the requirement for schools to register separately for under 3s in the very near future (no date set yet) but until this happens any provision for children younger than the term they turn 3 would need to be registered.

Cx

it would be my understanding at the moment that you would need to register,as they are inspected for EYFS - however with the change in the statutory framework in Sept this may not be the case, but I'm still a little hazy on that bit of the new framework...Helen might know!

Cx

• Like 1

We take children of nursery age into our afterschool club and our breakfast club and whilst we have to adhere to one to eight ratios for children aged eight and under, and pay heed to the eyfs, because none of our children use NEF funding for the before and after nursery hours that is far as we go.

We have planning that shows an understanding of the eyfs but we always always state that these hours are for the children to choose what they do!

• Like 1

Thankyou for your answers. That's exactly what I thought we can take rising 3s and the gov are planning to make it easier for schools at some point in the near future to care for younger children. I'll feed back to the head and go from there.

We have a breakfast club at school - several of our nursery children attend and it is not registered with Ofsted; sometimes there are 5 - 6 nursery children and over 40 school children - with 4 members of staff. I don't think anyone is aware of the need to adhere to the eyfs and there is certainly no early years trained staff running it. :huh: