Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EAL - resources

HI

Just wondered if anyone can recommend anything? Been told by my teacher that I need to have more resources but money is tight. She recommended getting parents to read a book in home language and record...how? to then play back at setting. I only have a cd player. Parents havent got equipment and neither have we for this (yet!) Any recommendations? Looking at PENpal (think there is a cheaper equivalent) but still might be too much at £60 for my committee. Books in English and other language are about £10..could share with home?

What activities do you do? We are modelling, short sentences, key words, commenting, sharing books, pausing (not questioning), signing, encouraging the children to mix with their peers (the two boys with EAL play together and have different languages!)

Struggling as parents say there are speaking english at home with their children to encourage them and I have tried to explain that it would be better if they use their home language to encourage speaking and listening.

Any info appreciated.

is your focus on supporting their home language or teaching them English?

How is their main language at home?

And why does the teacher want more resources...because what you are doing is not working....or because she thinks it will look better if the resources are visible ones? (ie for ofsted!)

what IT do you have in the classroom apart from the cd player? we've been experimenting a bit with recording things on iphones and sending them.

We found the most amazing resource - Talking Books. They are basically a photo album, with plastic pockets each with a button on it that you can press and have up to 18 seconds speech. We have used them for many different nationalities and are gradually building a lovely library of books for all the children to share and which give them direct experience of authentic native speaking. For example, we had an Albanian girl who would not speak, so we asked her parents to come in and help us. We had some simple pictures, i.e. a waving hand, so we recorded 'Good morning' in English and her mum said the translation in Albanian, hang up your coat, do you need the toilet, would you like a drink - the possibilities are endless. We also asked them to sing a few short songs without translating them. The sheer joy on the children's faces on hearing their parents and their home language is wonderful. They cost about £20 each, but Ofsted absolutely raved about them.

If you google it, it is actually Talking Photo Album - available from TTS I think. Oh and it also covers ICT :)

HTH

Hi. Its funny because I just had someone else come in and recommend this so have just checked them out and put to the committee. Good to have feedback and what you say is exactly what we shall aim to do. Thanks!

is your focus on supporting their home language or teaching them English?

How is their main language at home?

And why does the teacher want more resources...because what you are doing is not working....or because she thinks it will look better if the resources are visible ones? (ie for ofsted!)

what IT do you have in the classroom apart from the cd player? we've been experimenting a bit with recording things on iphones and sending them.

Hi. Home lang. I am supposed to model good English etc and not even attempt to say hello in French as I could be doing it badly!

I think its an OFSTED tick box she wants so that I can show that I am encouraging their home language. The only other IT equipment is a laptop. No wifi as in WI hut, no ipads as cant afford them. I have 3 children ...1 child speaks french at home and English in the setting (both brilliantly), one child has English dad, Thai mum and hearing loss (so limited speach), the other child has parents who speak punjabi (mum limited English, dad good English) but dad insists they speak english at home (he also has limited speech)! Have tried to say that it is important that they speak their home language. So tricky really .... This is my first experience of it all so any advice appreciated

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)