Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

On entry in to year 1 ....what are the levels?

Not saying this is right, but we have taken it that if expected at the end of reception they are deemed ready to access the national curriculum. So in September they are working towards, but by the first assessment point they could be 1c.

Technically when they leave reception and go into year one at the expected level they are...at the expected level! There isn't a specified NC equivalent!!

From Ofsted's subsidiary guidance:

Progress measures from the end of reception (Early Learning Goals) to Key Stage 1
31. The early learning goals do not translate precisely to National Curriculum levels. However, as a broad rule of thumb children who reach a good level of development at the end of the Reception Year ought to be reaching at least Level 2b by end of Key Stage 1. Children exceeding the early learning goals at the end of reception ought to be exceeding Level 2b at the end of Key Stage 1 and be reaching Level 2a as a minimum, and more likely Level 3.

Cx

Edited by catma

Thank you Catma! I was hoping you would come along!

We are getting conflicting advice from 2 different SIPS in the LA. One is saying everyone should be recorded as Working Towards 1C on entry in to Year 1 unless they achieved exceeding in the ELG when they could be entering as Level 1C. Another has told us that because the ELG are more demanding than previously, children leaving Reception as expected could already be Level 1C on entry into Year 1 if they were in the upper range of expected. When the first SIP was told this she said "Rubbish!" So the poor old Year 1 teacher is a tad confused. What do you think?

But what if their exceeding skills were equivalent to a level 3 already or a level 6? Exceeding is like emerging in that it covers anything that isn't the ELG or below, whilst the emerging covers everything that is not yet the ELG.

Record their EYFSP outcome as their starting point - teach them with the NC as normal and then assess agaianst the NC when you next need to. That's what I'd do!!

Cx

• Like 1

When I completed the profile at the end of last year I passed on to the Y1 teacher the emerging, expected, exceeding information. For those who were emerging I put down more specific information about which age-band I felt they were working within. For those who were exceeding I also gave them NC levels. They ranged from a 1B to a strong 1A.

That's probably not remotely relevant! Sorry.

• Like 1

When I completed the profile at the end of last year I passed on to the Y1 teacher the emerging, expected, exceeding information. For those who were emerging I put down more specific information about which age-band I felt they were working within. For those who were exceeding I also gave them NC levels. They ranged from a 1B to a strong 1A.

That's probably not remotely relevant! Sorry.

No, I think it is relevant - it shows that exceeding can be anything so saying its just a 1c or whatever is daft!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reassurance Catma!

Just as another point of interest. I have a child who I gave 'expected' to for Reading last summer. In the data I've just submitted I've given the same child a 2C. Yes, I do think she has made very rapid progress (reading suddenly seemed to just click for her and she is brilliant - it's such a pleasure to listen to her read) but if the 'usual' patterns follow she should be a definite L3 at the end of Year 2 and you wouldn't predict that from her profile score. Just to reinforce the fact that the profile doesn't translate to NC levels.

• Like 1

Hi

Just to add to this discussion we are now plotting Children's end of KS1 results against potential using Family Fisher Trust and FS scores in my view it's a nightmare! What has happened to people knowing children when did they just become a statistic. I now have a child in yr 1 on interventions as thet HAVE to be a 2a or they will be behind, why can't she just go at her pace. Too much pressure too young! J

• Like 1

Hi

Just to add to this discussion we are now plotting Children's end of KS1 results against potential using Family Fisher Trust and FS scores in my view it's a nightmare! What has happened to people knowing children when did they just become a statistic. I now have a child in yr 1 on interventions as thet HAVE to be a 2a or they will be behind, why can't she just go at her pace. Too much pressure too young! J

Totally agree, we have had this discussion many times in our staff room.

Hi

I presume you mean a 2a at the end of year 2... Not I year 1!!!!!! Got a bit panicky then! As all the levels are going from next year, maybe it might improve next year?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)