Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed Please

Hi guys, I'm after some help again. I've just started with a young chap who is in yr2, but working to reception level. The problem I am having that in tasks such as initial letter sounds, counting to 10 and counting syllables, the resources that I use become a distraction and it becomes hard to keep him on track. He also has severe behavioural problems and has huge tantrums if asked to do what he doesn't want to (such as come in at the end of break), as well as a problem with attention, he wants it but he can't cope with too much.

I try not to handle him too much but sometimes I need to for his safety or that of the other children, I already have bruises up my arms and legs and it's only the end of the first week!! :o Sometimes he just launches at you with no warning, then at other times he is lovely, he snaps out of his paddys as quickly as he goes into them.

Any advise would be great, as I want to help him achieve what he can, especially with sats coming up.

Hope you don't mind this, as I know he is above the foundation stage age, but that is the level he is working to.

Thanks for listening (well reading!)

Sal

Hi Sal,

Poor you - sounds like you are having a tough time. I am afraid I am not a teacher so can't really offer much real help. However, when my daughter was having trouble counting syllables she was taught to put her hand under her chin and count the number of times it went up and down as she said a word. Hey presto, she suddenly understood what they were on about!

Hopefully someone with more experience and practical advice will be along soon!

Is there need for SEN support for this child? It appears that his emotional & social development/needs are the main issue, and until these are fully assessed and supported he may not be in the right disposition to be tackling academic work.

You say the resources become a distraction, does he have a 'favourite' mode of play? Favourite type of equipment/toy? Can you use what he is interested in to help him 'play' the concepts of initial letter sounds and counting to ten? Does he have any interest in music, rhythm/beat to help him with the syllable concept?

As they say, every child has a disposition and particular learning style, here is the problem of finding out what makes this child tick, what enthuses/engages him. Difficult I'm sure but for your own sanity, ask for support and hopefully together you will find what his learning and social interaction blocks are, and progress from there.

Good luck.

Peggy

Hi Salsa,

I'm afraid I think you will need to talk to the class teacher about the best ways to proceed.

You say you have just started working with this child so have you been employed on a 1to1 as this child's named support? Does he have a statement, if he does that may give you some strategies as to how to continue.

Is the behavioural need recognised and documented. You may need to keep a record of the behaviours and you should report those incidents when he makes physical contact with you, they are assault and it is unacceptable that he is causing bruising. Are you able to see any pattern, what triggers this behaviour?

If he is working at the basic levels that you describe, has he not been exempted from SATs? You will need to make your work with him as play based and as appropriate as you can.

I am dealing with a 4yr old in my own classroom who is behaving in very similar ways and it is very demanding and exhausting. My little lad loves individual attention, operating socially and conforming to group expectations cause him major problems which disrupts the learning and functioning of the group as a whole.

Good luck.

This type of child needs routine and positive attention. His behaviour is geared to get your attention even if it is negative. You need to keep to activities that are short and snappy but fun. Find out his interests and gear the activities around it. For example, i had a similar child who was potty about doctor who, so every time I had to teach him something i found a way of getting doctor who into it somehow. You have to be quite inventive but it is worth the time because the results will be astounding. You also need to establish the routine through a pictorial timetable- visual. Make sure you talk through what he will be doing throughout the lesson and tell him what the next lesson/ break etc will be. Catch him being on task and praise him, shower him with stickers and smiles, he will respond in kind. If you need anymore help or resources just PM me and I will help you further

Best Wishes

Thanks for all your replies,

He is statmented but hasn't got a diagnosis for anything specific as he doesn't co-operate with any testing.

He is having a hard time adjusting at the moment as both his teacher and his support teacher have just left on maternaty leave, so it's all new people for him.

Hopefully it will be a better week coming up.

Thanks again, :o

Sal

• 4 months later...
Thanks for all your replies,

He is statmented but hasn't got a diagnosis for anything specific as he doesn't co-operate with any testing.

He is having a hard time adjusting at the moment as both his teacher and his support teacher have just left on maternaty leave, so it's all new people for him.

Hopefully it will be a better week coming up.

Thanks again, :o

Sal

I know this was ages ago but I'm a newbie. Down here we have Scallywags who not only come in to school but do work at home too. Hope you're having more good days than bad by now.

xx

Hi there,

we have had some similar probs with a little one who is about to go to school.

It can be very rewarding, yet incredibly frustrating too. I agree with the advice given, particularly that I would write every injury to yourself (or himself) each day in the incident book (or whatever your school uses).

Maybe consider using a sand timer to start and end activities and certainly get some advice from your Senco as it is not acceptable for you to have to put up with him injuring you - this is an element which over time affects your wellbeing too.

Do you have a manual handling qualification - if not, I would suggest you get one as soon as is possible -you cannot handle hime unless you have this and it can be very frustrating for you too.

Lastly....you will need support for yourself from the school, maybe just having a meeting once a fortnight with the school Senco as a supportive measure and so you can bounce ideas and let out your own emotions.

I wish you the very best of luck x

Welcome.....if my memory serves me right I think charliefarlie and piggy malone were characters from the Two Ronnies...can someone confirm this!!!!!?????

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)