Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creative Ideas For Nursery Rhymes?

hi everyone,

just wondered if you clever people have any good tried and tested ideas for creative activities for nursery rhyme topic in a reception class???

Have tried searching the forum but didnt have much luck :o any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated :)

many thanks in advance!

tea bag painting - I'm a little teapot/Polly put the kettle on

(get children to use a variety of shaped and flavoured tea bags to dip in paint, hold high and drop onto paper. Good for pincer grip!!)

can also do tea tasting using the same flovoured taes during snack time!

balloon rolling (we use these instead of eggs, but look at similarity of shape.

(mix a little washing up liquid with paint, makes the paint more slippery. Encourage children to rock, roll etc the balloon across the paper!! Some effective results can be achieved!)

Cookie Cutter printing.

Use hearts (queen of hearts)

Flowers (mary, mary) or any other relevant shapes.

Mix some wahing up liquid to watered down paint.

Children can make "bubble print shapes" by dipping cutters into paint.

Spider webs (marble painting, or paper plate weaving!)

Incy wincy spider of course!

Pitter Patter painting.

Metal pie trays. Punch small holes into the bases. With a friend, children encouraged to drip paint from tray onto paper.

Listen for the sounds. How far can they make the drip fall. How big a splat can they make?

(Dr Foster, It's raining, Incy wincy!)

I have loads more in my files somewhere, but that might give you a couple of starting points.

Role play the rhymes - have a Nursery Rhyme fancy dress day.

Music, beat the rhythm of the rhymes

Dance - ring games of Rhymes

Model making - grandfather clock, humpty dumpty wall, spiders and pipes/tubes.

Paper flowers (Mary, Mary)

wall displays ( interactive if possible) ie: Incy wincy, a real drainpipe, pulley, string with spider on the end, a tipping water cloud of rain, a rising sunshine etc.

Star pints showing the variety of different shapes of stars, glitter etc, 3D models of stars.

Have fun

Peggy

Could do a rhyme sack, like a singing sack, have bag full of props for nursery rhyme and children choose one from the sack,,,, spider for incy wincy etc.

Essc

thanks for your good ideas everyone.. i had a sudden spark of inspiration and found pat a cake pat a cake..... so we're going to bake cakes!!.. am going to try the banana muffins recipe in a min and hopefully make them to make the cakes a little more interesting!!

thanks again :) x

• 2 weeks later...

No, you dont sound thick jstree3, and if you did it wouldnt matter, there are always things to learn here. I dont know what it is either, xD:o although I imagine its threading a paper plate to make a web pattern?? Maybe!

just did Humpty Dumpty, made paper mache humpty dumptys, boiled eggs then the children found different materials to wrap the eggs in then built a wall and pushed the eggs off, to be honest the children were more excited in making the eggs break then trying to protect them. after the experiement we peeled the eggs and ate them Kent ict website also have a colouring game on their site.

paper plate weaving we punch holes around the edge of a plate and thread wool or other similar thread through them to make a web.

You can cut out the middle if you want, or cut card frames from thicker card if you do this as it it easy to pull the thread tight and squash the shape!

Have also used pinking sheers or cut notches around the edge and then wrap wool around the plate.

Inge

• 1 month later...
paper plate weaving we punch holes around the edge of a plate and thread wool or other similar thread through them to make a web.

You can cut out the middle if you want, or cut card frames from thicker card if you do this as it it easy to pull the thread tight and squash the shape!

Have also used pinking sheers or cut notches around the edge and then wrap wool around the plate.

Inge

Have used this idea successfully today. I did ask the children to draw a spider on plate first(picture of spider as prompt). We counted the legs. Also children screwed up a small piece of black tissue paper and stuck this on after weaving to represent the fly. Thanks for the idea.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)