Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Activity Bags

Guest whizzbang

Guest whizzbang

Hi there,

I am desperately completely revamping a very tired looking fs area and just about everything possible that can be done - planning/ assessment etc. etc.

The nursery currently have a collection of parent bags that they can come and borrow with fun activities to do at home with their child. i would love to carry on this good practise in school so if anyone has any good ideas for these which i could do at a relatively cheap price i would be very grateful!

Mandy :o

we have home-school activity packs for our Nursery and reception children. nursery packs have been built up over many years and so would not be cheap to start from scratch but are loved by our families. each one has a theme e.g. farm animals / colours... and up to 5 books on that theme (depending what we have been able to collect). they then have a few of the following: puzzle/ game/ activity sheet - again depending on what we have been able to collect on that theme.

whenever we have books/games etc donated we use these to make up the packs and also I keep eye out at charity shops etc. lots of the games are home-made versions on a theme e.g. lotto, simple track games - use clipart to adapt to theme and laminate.

we recently decided to extend the scheme into reception and made up a set of packs on a much more limited budget - each has one core book, a reading and maths game based on the book, and an alphabet activity sheet. Once you have a basic set of packs you can then add resources to them as you collect them.

I have attached some examples from the packs if these are useful - the game and story card in the bob pack came from a bob comic.

Bob_the_Builder.doc

mrs_wishy_washy2.doc

1_little_pig.doc

abc_lotto_1.doc

Mrs_w_w.doc

Guest whizzbang

Hi there

Sure, our nursery has around 15 bags anbd the parents pay a nominal amount of money to borrow these (I think 50cents which is about 30p) this is just to cover costs of consumable resources and to encourage them to be returned! I am not 100% on all of the contents but have a meeting with the nursery manager tom so will ask her if i can maybe take a piccie. I think if i remember correctly they are things such as simple home experiments to do at home, the bag includes everything parents will need, a resource list, a crib sheet of ideas and a booklet for parents to add comments in or make further suggestions fo rthe bags - personally I think thats a brill idea.

In my head I would love to start with around 20 bags (parents currently take it in turns each term as to who can borrow) and would love bags to have a different focus e.g. one with an investigation, one with a personal and social game suggestion etc.

As I make them will happily post ideas on here however am prob like everyone bit snowed under with reports, fsp final assessments, moderating etc. etc. I will have them running by sept!

Mandy :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)