Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

They Call It Guided Reading

Hi everyone,

After having been observed by my head and slated for not stretching my class enough, I've finally got my self out of the hole and going to show her thats not the case. I love what I do but with a unqualified teacher (promoted nursery nurse). (NOTE I Love Nuersery nurses they do a great job) Whoses rubbibg my nose in it. I feel pretty low.

I have a great class and great kids with great personalities.

so I want to do the best for them and I know I do.

My guided reading ideas seem very stale. get a book or books (same title) and just go over book (fiction / non fiction) reading and identifying High frequency words. segmenting and blending to work out sentences. Discussing pictures etc.

Has anyone any different ideas that can work with children in F2 and make my guided session more rewarding for my children and reclaim my

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so low - and it can be tricky if you feel compared to someone else. I sometimes wonder what exactly people mean when they say that children aren't being 'pushed enough' I sometimes think what they actually mean is 'well I don't really understand this play malarkie anyway so the children need to get down now and do some proper work now - you know they are five now!'

In terms of guided reading I know what you mean - what are the books like themselves? Could you make story props for chn. to play with - recreating their own stories based on the book? Sometimes I might give each child a different card with letter / tricky word to find - each one different so that they can show the group. Also making it harder might mean less of a teacher Imput - reading the Title and point out a new sould that they might not of heard before and thats it. Story sequencing - explain to a talking partner

Hope this helps :o

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Hubbbub.Sorry you are having a rough time of it....my old HT said to ofsted when theytalked about pushing children on 'you push wheelbarrows not children'

Graet advice from Clare,Ive also done things like nursery rhyme cards, laminated and they follow with their finger singing and finding tricky words, initial sound words,rhyming words etc I got some nice versions on the Northumberland LEA site (a year ago?)

Tinkerbell

I sometimes feel that way too and then you get inspired and suddenly the children turn it into a brilliant session. I find the ones that work best are when I get them involved in the text dramatically acting parts out and sharing ideas that relate to their own lives. Also like having props that link with the story. We recently did pig in the pond around the tough spot full of water and had duplo animals to add into the water as the story went on. At the end everyone took their socks and shoes off and got in too. We did the session outdoors away from the classroom and the children were sworn to secrecy so that as each group had their turn it was a suprise.

All the best!

AOB

Hi everyone,

After having been observed by my head and slated for not stretching my class enough, I've finally got my self out of the hole and going to show her thats not the case. I love what I do but with a unqualified teacher (promoted nursery nurse). (NOTE I Love Nuersery nurses they do a great job) Whoses rubbibg my nose in it. I feel pretty low.

I have a great class and great kids with great personalities.

so I want to do the best for them and I know I do.

My guided reading ideas seem very stale. get a book or books (same title) and just go over book (fiction / non fiction) reading and identifying High frequency words. segmenting and blending to work out sentences. Discussing pictures etc.

Has anyone any different ideas that can work with children in F2 and make my guided session more rewarding for my children and reclaim my

Guest heleng

Sorry you are feeling like that, it isn't a good feeling at all.

Guided reading ideas, well, depends on your objectives really. We use puppets (finger, hand and child made) to retell the story. We use letter cards and word cards for the children to find them in the book. I have props and story maps for various stories for the children to use in an inventive way. We use tapes of stories as well for the children to listen to.

Our guided reading stems from the objective, and after reading the book we have an activity linked to the objective.

Hope you feel a bit happier soon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)