Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Broken Leg.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]A child was due to start with us but he fell off his trike and broke his leg. His leg is pinned and he is beening pushed around in his buggy. Mum says he can sit on the floor or on a chair but he must use his frame to walk. He must not clime, jump, run or twist his leg.

I have encourged mum to bring him in with his frame and stay with him to see how he gets on. I am concerned about the floor being slippy ( wooden polished flooring), objects on the floor and the climing frame!!!

I know i can request that he wears suitable foot wear, and that we all keep equpiment on the mats or on the table tops, for our walks out we will take him in the push chair. But what about the climing frame??? Is it fair to prevent him from using it or should i not put it out on his mornings but then the others will not beable to use it. We do not have a useful out door area so the frame is important to us.

For physical play we have thought that we could do rolling a ball, hoop, skittels etc with him sitting down.

This is good in a way as it is making us all as a team think about how we offer our activties and how we can adapt them to suit.

However Ofsted are due to inspect us asap. I am happy to know that we can still provide a stimulating enviroment for this lad but i am concerned about how to address the climing frame issue as it is an important part of our setting. What would you all do? [/font]

Guest Wolfie

How old is the child? Would you be able to chat to him about the dangers that the climbing frame might present or is he too young to take this kind of information on board?

I would personally leave everything as normal - it's unfair on the other children, although you could, of course vary the physical focus - as I assume you do anyway?

You can support him in other ways, I'm sure, but have you discussed with mum if this a medical opinion, or her own? We have had similar instances, where the only medical instruction has been not to get the plaster wet. The child will only do what they feel they can, apparently.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

The child with his poorly leg started today, after having a long talk with mum she has clearly stated what he can and can not do as his leg mends. We will carry on as normal but be very observent. His first morning went well he came out for our walk, was able to sit on the mats and then stand and take part in movement time. I think we were more nervous than him today!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)