Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunch Times

Hi I currently teach reception, next school year (this september) i will be teaching nursery and reception together in a FSU on site but in a seperate building. We are currently trying to plan lunch times. I would like the reception and nursery children to have their lunch in the unit, supervised by welfare staff. I am just interested to know how other people do it and if anyone has a way that works well. Some of the children will be on hot dinners - how would be best to manage this? Take the children over to choose their dinner and bring it back or have a menu and a member of staff collects the dinner? Im just not sure what to do and would appreciate advice on what works. Thank you

Kat xx

In our FSU the nursery children go home for lunch at 11.30 and the reception children go to the hall for school dinners or packed lunches which are supervised by a lunchtime supervisor (dinner nanny).

When I worked in a nursery where children ate their lunches in the nursery the food was brought to them and they weren't given a choice but encouraged to try everything and the teaching staff ate with them in the nursery.

I work in a Foundation class. The children have their lunch in the classroom at the same time as the rest of the school. If school dinners the children choose from the menu in the morning, and its collect on a trolley just before the rest of the school go into the hall. Works well for us.

Our chn. go to dining hall too, in an ideal world I would like them to eat before the rest of the school and have adequate supervision by FS staff and/or dinner supervisors, but our school has only 1 dinner supervisor for 2 reception classes! I get stressed enough as it is, don't think I would be able to cope with lunchtime supervision as well, if I don't do it I cannot expect my staff to, so it will remain like this for the forseeable future.

We have our lunch in the snack area. We have to set up the tables everyday and clear away. The children help. We have a family setting with 7 children and an adult on each table. I do not give the F2 children a choice of dinner they have what is the main meal that day. F1 children will be having pack lunch from September and they will be sitting with the F2 pack lunch children. Depending on the weather the pack lunch children do eat outside or within the setting but seperate from school dinner kids but an adult (either an LSA or TA sits with them). The kitchen deliver our school meals and we have a hot trolley in the kitchen. We decided to do this to enhance and develop our childrens social skills which are poor and is was very evident when eating in the main dinner hall. We have been doing it for two years and our now year 2s are great in the dinner room.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)