Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play

I have had a price for a climbing frame to be built in our outside play area and i suppose I expected it but it came in at around £8000.00 which is just out of my league. I really want to get something- can anyone suggest anything that I could do. Really need something for the gross motor skills and Ofsted want it but just do not have that kind of money.

our indoor one was built by young offenders........we contacted them through the local court system, and lads on community service charges made it.............it was suprb, solid beech and was still functioning well, after I left the group.......................is it worth asking??Or B and Q offer grants, plus workers to help with community projects, try them! Or your local radio often has a children in need type charity............or you could try the lottery!

I bought a little Tikes plastic climbing frame with 2 slides, a tunnel and room for a den underneath and a platform on top. I think its around £300. The wooden stuff is brilliant but It would have taken every bit of money I had. It has been brilliant and very versatile.

Would it be possible to acquire a variety of large logs of varying lengths and widths for the children to scramble over and balance on. You could make balancing challenges using milk crates and smooth planks of wood (raise and lower to suit ability). Supply the children with lots of 'loose parts' such as smaller logs and branches and sheets for them to move around, create dens with support and use as they please. Large tyres again for balancing and scrambling over and also rolling makes fine use of gross motor skills - If you could get hold of old tractor tyres these are even better. Doesn't look at good as a wooden climing frame, but loads of fun and children have to be resourceful and use their imagination. Total cost = 0

Good luck

Guest Wolfie

Sheila, iy's definitely worth looking around to see if there are any grants available locally or nationally for your project - there seem to be endless little "pots of money" around at the moment for groups to bid for. We've just been sucessful applying to our Local Network Fund for a grant and I know there are various other charities around. Or how about appraoching a local company and asking for sponsorship? All the big supermarket chains have funds to tap into as well - I think you'll find details on their websites?

It's worth a try! If you don't ask, you don't get!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)