Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Intake Visit

First of all I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice for my new parents meeting. It was today and it went very well.

Now I need your help again.

In a few weeks time the new children are coming in to school to spend the morning with me in what will be their class. What sort of activities do you guys do on visits like that? I'd really appreciate any ideas you have. Yet again, the present reception teacher is unwilling to share her ideas with me. Her NNEB is also playing her game and refusing to help. She says she will do whatever I want her to do, but that is it!!

Thanks in advance.

Moisy

Hi Moisy. Its good to hear your parents meeting went well. I have mine in a couple of weeks, haven't done one for a few years so I'm feeling a bit nervous! :(

I also would like to hear what people plan to do during 'open mornings' and do the parents stay?? They are driving me mad during story sessions which are happening at the moment :o Chatting in the background, bringing younger siblings ..... One even had the nerve to sit on my chair!!! xD

I have inherited this set up from the previous teacher who left suddenly at Easter. I may change it for next year!

Hi annie d,

Nice to hear from you.

If you look further down the curriculum and general issues menu you will see the advice I was given. I followed those ideas and the Head covered the day-to-day issues. I spoke about the curriculum and particularly reading and phonics.

Don't worry about it-I was too but once I got going it was fine. I also had to deal with the "We thought you were a Yr 6 teacher" and "How can you go from Yr 6 to Reception?" questions and I managed to satisfy them with my answers!!-so I thought that was a good start.

I know my new parents won't be staying-we asked them today to make sure they pick them up before lunch!

Moisy

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Moisy and Annie

We have the new reception children for the afternoon 1.30-3.00 all parents go

I make them all a sticky name label and ask thm to find their name (can they read their name?)

So I put a selection of equipment out for them to get into,I make sure I HAVE A PHOTO OF EACH CHILD to use on a self register interactive whiteboard (first week back)

I have a drawing table and ask them to write their name on their drawing (quick ass to see pencil control,name writing)

I watch how they get on together,do they have friends from their nursery (they come from 8 diff settings)

We take them out into the playground and show them around (not when rest of school is about)

I finish off with a story all sat on carpet...chat.

Tinkerbellx

I always try to plan a quick and simple making activity so that the children can go home on the first day with a 'first day at school' thing they have made-in the past we have made Humpty Dumpty's or Incy Wincy spiders. We also send home a .........has had a super first day at school certificate -the parents seem to love having a keepsake of their child's first day

mimi - sparklebox has some signing in stuff for the interactive whiteboard. Haven't checked recently, I downloaded one in September and it was free then.

harricroft

Thanks for the info about Sparklebox the site looks interesting, will have a go loading it up onto my white board.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)