Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Small World Activity

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

I'm running a parents' workshop on Small World play next week and am trying to think of a good activity that I can get them involved in as part of the session - something fun and very practical which will get them to think about ways to provide small world play for their children and what sort of learning opportunities it promotes.

I've got a couple of ideas but am wondering if anyone else has any....? :o

Edited by Wolfie

Guest tinkerbell

What about making a story box?

i went on an amazing course where we all made them ,out of shoeboxes.

I made them with my class and they do love to get them out.It could be a good activity to do with parents cos thy could thrn take them home or donate them to your class!!

Many many years ago i took part in a parenting course. The tutor set up a dolls house, all the furniture and dolls to go in it. She then asked us to play with it. When i started to put the furniture in she sat by the side of me and kept saying no dont put that there the bed needs to go into the bedroom not the kitchen and taking the objects off of me and putting them where she wanted them. In the end i was just sitting watching her set the house up. She then asked me if i sometimes tried to impose my ideas on to my children (at the time i did) and asked me how i felt as the child. It opened my eyes to how children play and learn.

I hope this helps.

Lou

put out small baskets of small world figures/furniture/props add baskets of pebbles /natural materials/small boxes/blocks/trays/diffrent colours and texured materials/shiny paper mirrors etc

write down different enviroments on strips of paper such as farm seaside jungle and let the parents choose and make the enviroments up from the props. discuss the opportunnities needed to make them. It is almost every area.

seen this done in a classroom for the children to do where the teacher added or took away things to keep up the interest, the children where always inventive and focused.

sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)