Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calling All Early Years Advanced Skills Teachers!

Hi all, I am just in the process of applying to be an EY AST, wondered if any one who is already one had any tips for the application or the folder of evidence? And are you enjoying the role??

Thanks! x

Guest Wolfie

One of my colleagues is an Early Years AST - she certainly enjoys the variety that the role brings to her days and I'm sure she would say that the role has been a real eye opener concerning the different sets of challenges faced by the PVI settings that she supports compared to her everyday maintained sector life! :o

hi mac20

one of the main things that they wanted to see on the day was evidence that I had supported other people (students/teachers etc). I basically bombarded them with as much evidecen as possible and ensures that it was all clearly laid out and easy to access e.g. evidence for each standard. I did a powerpoint with lots of photos too demosntrating my work/experience for each standard. I ahd this running in the background for them to tap into whenver they wanted.

It is a very rewarding role but also a very challenging one. The best advice II was given and try to put into place is to ensure you build effective relationships in the first instance with the staff you will be supporting... without their trust and desire to be supported, its a tough job!

Best of Luck

Apple

Guest Wolfie

I totally agree with that Apple - I'm not an AST but do support another nursery in their practice and would say that it took at least six months to build an effective working relationship with the staff and get them to trust me and not see me as someone out to criticise. It is ESSENTIAL to get that relationship right and to allow plenty of time for that.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering how you got on. I too have applied and should be assessed next month. Any other tips about the day or the portfolio gratefully received as I feeling a bit nervous as it is all so public with so many people involved in knowing about it and contributing. Thanks,Catriona

• 9 months later...

Hi Apple,

I'm at the very beginning of looking into the Early AST route, and just wondered whether when you applied to become one if it was something you suggested to your head or the other way around?

Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)