Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Needed

ourjac

We are a Primary School, 2 form intake (60 children) + a Nursery of 26 am/26 pm children...our Nursery Teacher is going to leave soon and we are deciding what to do. At present there are 4 full time staff (2 teachers and 2 TA's in Reception and 1 Full Time Teacher and 1 Full time Nursery Nurse in the nursery...we are considering maybe of going along the lines of a FSU but would like advice and guidance from anyone who at present has similar numbers and staffing to us....be honest! Obviously staff will have to be appointed. We are in close proximity to one another and have access to 3 outside areas but does anyone have any ideas re setting up of groups, areas, timetables etc....Have read all the excellent ideas already on the site but more appreciated.

Many thanks

ourjac

We have been running our FSU for 3 years now - lots of changes ofver that time!

We have 45ish rec + 30 part time Nur, staffing and numbers have fluctuated over that time, as I have been on long term sick for most of this year the Nursery bas has been run by a very experienced HLTA supported by 2 LSPs, Reception base had 1 teacher, 1 HLTA and 1 LSP - 1 more teacher now I'm back. We are now advertising for a teacher for Nursery base and so will be very well staffed - Head realises that this is where the input needs to go.

We find that how we run our unit changes over the year with the needs of the children - we mix a lot in September but little in the summer, only in outdoor area.

Our LEA are keen on mixed family groups, we've tried this but find the logistics difficult - I hope to visit some Units in our area next term to see how they manage it.

One thing I find difficult is the noise level with so many chn. having CI Play together, so we're having a large door fitted to one of the rooms so that we can have a quieter withdrawl room.

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask though I don't feel we are a true FSU at the moment.

Hi Ourjac, cant help Im afraid except to say what an exciting proposition. I would imagine the most difficult thing for you will be to balance the part time nursery provision within the day so that both those groups of children have their needs met alongside your reception children who are obviously full time. You can only give it a go and see how you get on. If you are all on board as staff you will make it work.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

hi we have 45 full time children and 24 part timers each session.

In our unit we have two full time teachers and two nursery nurses.

We are under the impression that for reception children you have to have one teacher per 30 children, as we have 45 this means we have to have two.

we also have mixed family groups and find that it works well once every one remembers their family group.

We do find it very noisy and have a small quiet room we take half the reception children in for the literacy/numeracy input. the other group have their input in a area in the unit.

when we do our family groups we take ages making sure all groups have equal mix eg boy -girl.

Thanks for all the good ideas...BUT what happens in your FSU at lunchtimes??? HELP! How do you manage the changeovers with children...the three hours New Nursery provision has to make a difference.

Our morning session ends at 11.30 when nursery children go home and reception children go to lunch. Reception children are supervised at lunchtime by lunchtime staff (dinner nannies) in the infant playground with KS1 children. Reception and afternoon nursery children arrive at 12.45 for the afternoon session. At the moment this is fine but with 3hr sessions we will have to review things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)