Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Y1 Topics

We have an NQT taking over the Y1 class next year. A lot of the themes in there could do with a revamp. Could you possibly give me some ideas of what themes you cover and unless it's blindingly obvious a rough outline of what you cover within those themes. Thank you! :o

In our school Year 1 and 2 follow QCA topics on a 2 year cycle but the year 1 teacher allocates a few weeks for transition at first

I would be interested in ideas here too.

I will be having 10 reception children in a pure reception class!! Head teacher wants me to work with Yr 1/2 teacher like a sort of Foundation/KS1-unit-she will be an NQT and I will be her mentor so the idea is to "share"-all age groups between us.

So we need some interesting topics to cover 3 year groups-keen to hear from anyone in similar situation.

Thanks M

Thanks so far. As a school we do not follow QCA topics as we have adopted a learning journey approach. In theory this means that people can do whatever topics they choose as long as they cover our key skills. Obviously this is quite daunting for an NQT and I am just completely brain dead at the moment (actually not that different from any other time :o) and can't think of anything inspirational!

I have only been teaching Year 1 (as a mixed class due to falling numbers) since September but I've been using the hamilton trust plans. I have a 2 year cycle of Reception topics and I've linked them to the Year 1 topics on Hamilton trust- so I did space last term to fit in with my Reception 'fantasy' topic, covering lots of the Year 1 objectives.

I have used QCA a bit too but not that keen on some of the topics!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)