Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Meeting With New Parents.

I need you guys to give me some help.

I am at present in Yr 6, going to reception in September. Next week I have to have a meeting with the new reception parents. Head teacher wants me to take the helm. Have asked presnt reception teacher for advice on what she has been saying over the last 8 years-she is not prepared to help me!! She is leaving under a cloud and isn't giving an inch.

Anyway, I've thought about the usual-practicing getting dressed on own over the summer hols, able to go to toilet own own, buying polo shirt instead of long sleeved cotton shirt for uniform. But now I can't think what else I should say!!

I will briefly explain what I plan to do about phonics, reading, topics etc but is there anything else I am missing?

I would really appreciate any ideas or advice you have.

Thanks M

When i do these meetings with the head teacher, she will talk about all the basics of the school - session times, school lunches, attendance policy, health and safety - no jewellary, sensible shoes, etc then i will talk about the uniform, where it can be bought, PE kit, reading bags etc, (we also sell alot of the uniform (or take orders for it) while they are at this meeting) the nature of the work in our unit - play based, give out starting dates, hand out our starting school booklet, then i will talk about the 6 different areas of the curriculum and some of the types of activities that we will do as part of our daily routines, - i also have a powerpoint presentation of some of the work that the children have produced with lots of photos etc. I tend to leave reading and jolly phonics info etc until a separate meeting when all of the children have started. think that is all - got an overview at school will add in extras if i think of anymore - hope this helps

Sarah

The one thing I would just mention as parents always worry about is the stages of play and transition when children may become slightly introverted again - all parents want to know and be reassured that that their child is happy and mixing with other children but sometimes this takes time but it is perfectly normal.

Niki

Many thanks Sarah and Nicola for your swift replies.

Your suggestions Sarah will be good starting points for me.

Thanks M

Hi moisy and I don't think I have offered you a personal welcome so 'Welcome!' from me.The first thing I am going to say is 'What a shift from Y6 to Reception' I think it is very sad that your predecessor is not willing to support you. You should not even have had to ask personally. There should have been support from your Head to guide your transition from this year group however if you have early years experience perhaps he/she thought this was not thought an issue?

You have a lot of issues on your agenda for a first meeting.

I do a 'Get to know the Foundation Stage' meeting and have to revise my current Reading workshop this summer in view of the change in phonic expectations. These will form 2 seperate inputs.You might base your first parent meeting on the practicalities of school. Do you do a tour of the school to aid new and familiar parents with locations?Discuss Playtime and Lunch arrangements. Do you have school cooks? Can they be part of your presentation? Discuss School uniform and ordering with the secretary,P.E. kit,times that school begin and end. Collection arrangements-I need verbal or written information if anyone other than parents collect. Involve the school secretary to verify lunch or sandwiches. (New children don't know!) Keep it simple for now. Invite questions but use this experience to devlop things further. See this as an opportunity for change.Rome wasn't built in a day! I am still getting there... I can give you my presentation for the former meeting if this may be of any help. (Providing I can work out how to add an attachment.)

I know that others have posted very helpful comments about beginning school but I am not sure where? I know someone will be there to help you further. luluj

Hi luluj

Thanks for your welcome.

I have taught Reception before but pre stepping stones, foundation curriculumn and e-profile-so lots of new things to think about. My predecessor to be honest is not worth the bother. I am getting to the stage that I don't want to ask for help-don't want to give her the satisfaction (does that sound awful?) She is mking life very difficult for us all at the moment.

My Head does have confidence and faith in me that I will be able to turn our Foundation stage around and I don't want to let him down. I was appointed to Yr 6 to do that and now he wants the same at the other end! An example of what is happening at the moment there-when children were asked by advisers what happens in their outdoor area the answer was "we are not allowed out there the door is always locked" so you can see what I am up against.

Thanks lots for your suggestions-they are very helpful and I'm sure I sound like I haven't got a clue but trying to go from Yr 6, post SATs and in the middle of KS2 play to thinking new little children in September is a bit daunting.

If you can attach your presentation that would be great.

Thanks again M

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Moisy welcome from me too

a lot has already been said

We do an evening and all school staff are there to meet the new parents as well as council!

PTFA 2 mins

Afterschool 2mins

School nurse 2mins

HT does the bits already mentioned and I introduce the Reception Handbook( it is on computer at school so will try and send tomorrow), it also has the Foundation stage policy in it.I mainly talk about building on their childs nursey curriculum so smooth transition still play based , six areas of learning but in a school setting and timetabled sessions eg whole school assembly,lunches,PE sessions in hall ,playtimes with rest of school....council talk about buddy system.

Then go to my room,outdoors,school field veggie patch talk about developing the outdoor curriculum...

chance for them to whisper in my ear of anything I may need to know etc

Tinkerbellx

Thanks tinkerbell,

I like the idea of a Reception handbook-would love to see that- thanks that would be helpful- and we don't have a Foundation stage policy-bet that will be my next job!!

Also like the idea of walking around school with parents on my own-as I am only going to have 10 children this could be a nice informal chat with the parents who turn up.

They are going to come to a special assembly that morning and then stay on. I have asked present teacher if she would let us come into her class to see her children working and she said no! We can come into the room but she will take hers out and I have not to ask her any questions!!

Great!

M

Hi moisy, You are obviously very much valued by your head! All I can say is it sounds a very good job this teacher is going! I think you will do a fantastic job. Will attempt to attatch my presentation. Hope OK to give this time tomorrow after just checking with head this OK.

luluj

Hello

I'm sure you have loads to get your head round at the mo. But when my little boy started school last year we were given a book for him.

Just had a picture of his teacher - where the toilet were - where coats go etc the class room door..... the playground. (lots of pictures - few words)

It was really sweet and gave me something to take home from the meeting for him - we read it together and it really helped him.

Good luck - you will be great

Hi moisy, Oh dear,I hate it when I say I will do something and then I don't! Had parents in at 8.15,teaching and then PPA time when Head had meeting with someone or other. I do so apologise. Will get there in the end! Bet is -you have already got wonderful plans! luluj

Just a few simple things that can make all the difference - Velcro shoes rather than shoe laces if they can't tie shoe laces (though girls of course will have buckles!), and the one that I'm definately going to stress this year - NAMES IN CLOTHES. I can't believe the number of jumpers/sweatshirts that we have in the basket at the end of the day. 'Florence has lost her sweatshirt ... do you know where it is?' 'Has it got her name in?' 'No, it's a blue one' ( :o so is every other childs in the class)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)