Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Observation

Ok, big thanks for ideas people gave me for my ICT observation the other week. Now I would love some ideas for my maths observation which is on Thursday! Didn't do very well in my last maths obs so need some great ideas that have worked really well! Topic is places and people. I'm starting with places and people around school then moving on to different cultures.

Any great ideas?

Thanks!

Guest Wolfie

Just a very quick thought...and you might think it completely rubbish....but how about starting on the "places" theme very simply and doing something based around positional language in your room/around the school, maybe hiding a toy or doing some kind of hunt that involves looking behind, beside, under, on top of, etc etc.

Feel free to disregard that completely if it's no good!! :o

I think that's a great idea Wolfie-will have to add that one to my list of activities to do.

What about shapes in the environment? You could take them for a walk around school and look for all the different shapes.

Or numbers all around us-talk about the numbers there are where we live, such as on cars, buses, houses, in shops, on clothes, receipts etc. There are so many!

Linda

My class love the "no pointing game". I ask them where objects are and they aren't allowed to point or say "over there". They have to describe the position to me. I also pretend that I've forgotten how to get to places and can they direct me to places in our school.

Shapes in the environment is good, we have a selction of geometric shapes and then go on a "snap the shape hunt". We carry the shapes around and then we find things the same shape we say snap and then take a photo. We have a folder of shapes we found.

Pattern in the environment, again with the camera go on a tour with the camera and take pictures of patterns we find (dinner ladies love having their legs photograohed!) again put into an album. We have extended this by then trying to recreate the patterns that we found using paint.

Numbers, we had a fab tally lesson in the school carpark making a tally of the different coloured cars we could see. Again we took this further by going on to the road outside school for 20 mins and made a record of vehicles that went past.

Hiya - what is your learning intention? This should be your starting point, and then think about an activity that would fit within your topic.

Thanks for your ideas. Unfortunately I was not in school to do my observation as I have an unexplained illness! Have come out in itchy spots on my arms, hands, elbows, neck and even eyelids! Been to the doctors twice and seen 2 different doctors. First said come back tomorrow and second said it's probably a virus picked up from the children! Anyone had similar or got any ideas what it could be? I had chicken pox (all be it a mild case) when I was 3. Had sore throat at weekend but apart from spots feel fine! :o

Could it be German measles? I caught it from the children many years ago. Like you I had a sore throat and swollen glands beforehand but felt fine once the spots appeared. I had two weeks off school during Wimbledon fortnight and never lived it down!

Hi ellie

Could it be an allergic reaction? I can't eat too many citrus fruits as I come out in blotchy, itchy spots but just on my face, arms, hands, legs and feet. Have you eaten anything out of the ordinary?

Linda

I did think it could be an allergic reaction although I haven't eaten anything different or used any new cosmetics. Linda, did you self diagnose or have an allergy test? I worry about having an allergy test in case I find out I'm allergic to lots of things I didn't know about before!

I self diagnosed Ellie. Apparently I had a reaction to mandarin oranges as a child and assumed that as I had had a tangerine every day for about 5 days then this was what it was. I am also allergic to peanuts-but didn't know this until I had consumed rather a lot of them when I was about 28. Again I had a very bad reaction-my face, arms, hands, legs and feet were swollen. I could barely open my eyes. So now I am very wary of eating anything for more than one or two days. I can eat a satsuma on one or two days, but don't risk a third. Same with nuts. Allergies are such funny things-you may not know you have them but on occasions they flare up.

Linda

Hi Ellie,

There has been a very nast virus going around us that has put some children in hospital and if not still very very poorly :o

Sore throat,rash,high temperature ,swollen glands,stiff neck,tonsillitus,streppo....something or other.

German measles was suspected at one stage so was meningitus but all just very nasty virus.

hope you are soon back to normal

Andrea

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)