Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Discovery Table

At pre-school we have introduced a discovery table and it is very popular with the children. We have had magnets, kaleidoscopes, mirrors, discovery bottles etc, but now we need some new ideas to inspire the children. Can anyone help?

Anita

Thanks Phil. We have had magnifying glasses and lots of plastic mini beasts; also various herbs for the children to smell and Russian dolls for sorting.

Anita

We have had a selection of natural materials. Things like pine cones, conkers, cinnamon sticks, dried oranges. Just a lot of different things with a range of textures and a range of smells.

We have put things on that make different noises, crinkly paper, shakers etc

Colour activities, transluscent coloured paper, colour paddles

Ice and food colouring, salt etc

Pots with different smells in (coffee, lemon, onion etc) to see if they can guess

Things to investigate gravity, marble run, balancing objects etc

Small wooden toys, pull back toys, old fashioned toys like the pecking chickens and wind up toys, the sticks you squeeze together to make the figure topple (sorry I don't know what it's called), spinning tops etc.

Bee bots

If I think of any more I will get back to you

Sue

I remember as a child playing with the 'Junk drawer.' It had things in it like an old lock and key,an old clock (the back had fallen off so you could see the mechanism),springs,little screwdrivers,a plug,just everyday bits and bobs that didn't have a home. There was even an armadillo's tail! I was fascinated! luluj

Guest Wolfie

If you're looking for old "mechanisms" for the children to explore, e.g. clock parts, try Ebay -when I was doing something on Hickory Dickory Dock a lady on there posted me a great selection of cogs and wind up parts for free! She had a repairs business and those were surplus to her requirements!

Collections of things such as spoons made of different materials, metal wood, plastic etc

Toys for a baby (this is really popular in out Nursery), safe/unsafe toys for babies - children sort into circles with thumbs up/thumbs down signs

Sink or float positioned by water tray for instant testing

Posy

At pre-school we have introduced a discovery table and it is very popular with the children. We have had magnets, kaleidoscopes, mirrors, discovery bottles etc, but now we need some new ideas to inspire the children. Can anyone help?

Anita

volano Eruption is a really brill acivity to do the children will love it. :

Bicarbonate of soda with vinegar it a mini volacno.

U put bicarbonate soda in a empty baby jar and add vinegar. Cover the baby jar in old playdough to make it look like a mountain :o

Hiya,

I did the mentos sweets and coke at a party last weekend - wow, it really does explode into a fountain - only managed to get 4 sweets in as we could not get close enough to it to add any more - and it makes a right mess - best do it outside - it erupted and there was only half of the 2 litres left - if you wanted a real explosion then I think I would try and find a tube to put the mentos in and then drop them into the coke - not too sure whether this would make it better or not but it went over 2 feet in the air. Brilliant - but dont turn your back its over in a flash.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)