Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Observations For Profiles

Hi

We are currently completing our profile judgments, but are finding that there are particular areas that we seem to be missing when completing observations.

Currently we have an A4 tick sheet for each curriculum area, divided into the strands for each area where we tick off against names when we complete an observation, this generally allows us to see where we are missing observations. Then when we file the observations, we tick off against the stepping stones to show which ones have been achieved.

After completing the first batch of profiles, I am wondering whether it would be better to track the observations initially against profile points, the thinking being that it might make some of the observations more specific, and more obvious where we are lacking evidence.

I'm just wondering whether anyone already does this, or would be willing to share ideas or proformas on how they track their observations.

Looking forward to some good advice, as always

Cheers

bb

Well, I plan to FSG and assess to FSP. So if my activity is assessment orientated then it will be directly linked to the profile statements otherwise I make a best fit judgement. I keep all my observations, which are not necessarily narrative--could be tick sheets depending on nature of activity in a folder subdivided into profile points and cross reference on a sheet at the front, which shows me when I added an observation/assessment (date) and where it might also link to. I put the observation in the most obvious place ie handwriting observation would be filed under writing, uses a pencil effectively etc but would also link to PD (2 possible points there--range of fine motor skills and use of tools).

I have found this quite time consuming but it also works for me better than individual folders because of the way I tend to work in the classroom.

Dont forget you dont need evidence for every point!

Susan,

I like the idea of the cross referenced sheet- do you have an electronic copy or is it not that 'official'?

No marie not at the moment!! Sorry.

I literally just ruled 9 columns across 13 pieces of paper and put a number in the top of each column witha scale description at the top! I used some old squared paper that we had bought in France, didnt even think of using the computer for this one.

Hi Susan, I'm probably being very dense here, but does that mean you have 13 sheets for each child then?

AOB

My motto is 'Life's too short' for this massive paper trail!

Reading the additional guidance notes published recently they talk about finding more imaginative ways to assess and also talk about not needing to record everything. I also think there can be a real danger in 'teaching to the test'

We try to make things as simple as we can. Each child has a ring folder thing with 13 plastic pockets labelled 'KuW' 'PD' 'LSL' etc and we try to pop in the relevant observation in each plastic wallet - this is not always possible as so many observations are totally cross-curricula but we do photocopy.

This means that immediately we can see 'gaps' however we are mindful of not needing evidence for every point and we do have other forms of evidence - tick sheets with short sentences against children's names and ancedotal notes.

When completing the Profile I like to look at the whole child and do it from my professional knowledge/judgement - if I am really stuck I might refer to their observations but then I would question whether it is their 'typical behaviour' and then conclude they have not achieved the point yet.

I just try to keep things simple and have the courage of my own/my TA's and parents judgement.

If you are using the Eprofile it does show you gaps too.

• 2 months later...

Can I ask a silly question are the sheets not just like using the e profile sheets?? Also I too am reconsidering how I do the childrens profiles. last year I split the file / book into the 13 areas but found this very restrictive as one observation / piece of work etc can cover more than one area of learning. So I changed it and just filed evidence but then it is difficult to keep track of the evidence that is missing. Profiles can then end up with lots of markmaking etc but not so much evidence of physical dev. does anyone have a way round this that is simple and doesnt involve filling in sheets of paper????

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)