Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Peope And Places Topic

Hi, been searching forum for ideas but what I am looking for specifically are some holistic and creative ideas on this topic and on holidays topic that are suitable for nursery and reception children.

Also would like nursery ideas for all areas for these topics. I was thinking of starting with places and people around school and then moving on to looking at some of the countries children in the nursery have come from. Maybe the cleaner, lollipop lady, library? Countries children have come from include Poland, Latvia, Portugal, Pakistan, India, Zimbabwe.

Anyone got any ideas for these topics? Thanks!

I was bamboozled by the "Cultures" topic last June. What I did was to roam around the world looking at festivals and typical foods etc.

Over the 6 weeks we explored

Mexico, and held a pinata party, made papel picado and cooked and ate salsa and guacamole

Europe, we visited France, Italy and Spain. Explored a cheese board and tasted foods from each country' .Learned simple phrases.

Far East-we cooked noodles, drank green tea, made a dragon and performed a dragon dance for our parents

Isle of Man-celebrated manx festival of TT, visits by riders, fire service and other emergency services. (this is unique to our area, there may be a tradition, festival that you could substitute!!)

Introduced holiday bears

Africa, we made a safari role play area complete with nets, box animals and binoculars, clipboards and tickcharts

The UK, we looked at Scottish food and tasted Haggis, we made leek and potato soup when we talked about Wales, and talked about the royal family, ending with a royal garden party.

I hope this helps,

Thanks for those ideas, have got my festivals book out! I find this quite a hard area to teach nursery age children, especially those that don't have much experience of places outside their immediate surroundings.

Well, if you would like some pen pals in Hong Kong let me know! We cater for children from 2.5 - 5 years and i'm sure our older children would love to write about their lives.

SJ

• 1 month later...

hi did you say about the pen pals? I would be very interested in this and feel it would be interesting for our children to learn about the loves of others. - thanks mandie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)