Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Long Does It Take You To Do Reports? How Do You Manage Them?

Hi,

I guess there are other NQT worried about their reports this term! I was just wondering if others could share how long it takes you to write the school reports and whether you do it over weeks or weekends? Just trying to get my head around how long its going to take and manage my time :o

Thanks

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

if you are able to do your reports on the computer, then you can cut and paste some of it. You could also make a master template that you adapt for individuals.

I like to do my reports in sections, so PSE for everyone etc rather than write I report in its entirety. You may find it easier to do it the other way. Either way, I prefer to spread the workload over several days rather than a weekend but you do probably need to allow about 2 full days altogether.

Ive just finished my first drafts for my reception class using eprofile which I have found much easier than before. I did a bit on Monday evening, Tuesday evening, Wednesday evening and this morning ---perhaps a couple of hours each time although yesterday I spent longer on it. I will need to tweak a bit during the next couple of weeks as I concentrate on some "holes" although it may be that I cant actually fill them and then do my final edit with my TA in case I have forgotten anything pertinent.

Your head should have given you a date by which he/she wants your finished reports to read but I would get started and see how you get on. Your mentor should also support you in this. Remember to be as positive as possible and to indicate some targets.

Hi Rachel,

Agree with Susan about completing specific sections first. This does make things easier in staying focused on one particular area and also allows you to 'Cut and paste' if relevant and therefore save time.

We have a personal section at the bottom. This is a great opportunity to let parents know strengths and to add the little comments about significant memories over the year.Also wonderful for kids to look back on in 20 years time and say 'I remember that...' Similarly this section identifies 2 or 3 targets where parents can support.

We also include a section for children to say what they feel they have achieved well over the year and what they would like to 'get better at doing.'

I think how you ' do it' is up to you. You may be better at short bursts or a lengthier slot. Whatever way you will want to review and probably amend.

I would certainly make a start sometime soon. The first bit is always the worst.It will get easier. Good luck. I am sure you will be fine.

luluj

Hi

The head in our school has assigned a inset day for report writing, but she says she appreciates it will probably take longer. I am also an NQT, but have been writing reports since the Autumn Term as I write them for the children who leave the nursery class for reception each term. I write a report for I child I feel I know particulary well first, which gets me into the swing.

Hope it all goes well.

Elfy

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)