Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Seaside

ourjac

Our whole school are doing at topic on the Seaside for the last 2 weeks of term...i know there is a large amount of resources material on this topic but if anyone has anything new i world be very pleased to get it

Many thanks

ourjac

I don't know if you want to buy extra resources, or whether you're just looking for ideas, but I try to fit a "Seaside in a bottle" activity in at least once a year, 'cos I love it!

We put up a beach tent in the garden, fill up the sand pit with sand, and an assortment of shells, pebbles, and seaweed. Each child has a small plastic bottle, and they use a funnel to tip some sand into the bottle - about 1/4 full. Then they experiment to see which shells and pebbles will fit, or allow them a set amount of shells to select to add to the sand. They then top up their bottle with water from a jug, add a tiny amount of blue food colouring and washing up liquid, tightly screw the lid (I add glue to the neck of the bottle to ensure it never comes off), then give it all a good shake. Lay the bottle on its side, and when everything settles, you are left with your own seaside in a bottle.

We also make paddling pictures: draw round child's feet using sugar paper, and extend to make legs just below knee height. Make a collage on stiff card using sand, small shells, pebbles, seaweed or green tissue paper. Glue the sugar paper legs on, then use a sponge to dab blue snowflake snow mixture over everything. Lovely and messy!

Have fun!

I don't know if you want to buy extra resources, or whether you're just looking for ideas, but I try to fit a "Seaside in a bottle" activity in at least once a year, 'cos I love it!

We put up a beach tent in the garden, fill up the sand pit with sand, and an assortment of shells, pebbles, and seaweed. Each child has a small plastic bottle, and they use a funnel to tip some sand into the bottle - about 1/4 full. Then they experiment to see which shells and pebbles will fit, or allow them a set amount of shells to select to add to the sand. They then top up their bottle with water from a jug, add a tiny amount of blue food colouring and washing up liquid, tightly screw the lid (I add glue to the neck of the bottle to ensure it never comes off), then give it all a good shake. Lay the bottle on its side, and when everything settles, you are left with your own seaside in a bottle.

We also make paddling pictures: draw round child's feet using sugar paper, and extend to make legs just below knee height. Make a collage on stiff card using sand, small shells, pebbles, seaweed or green tissue paper. Glue the sugar paper legs on, then use a sponge to dab blue snowflake snow mixture over everything. Lovely and messy!

Have fun!

Marion, What a star you are. These resources are lovely. I am just about to start a seaside topic and I think they're just the thing to add a new bit of magic. Thank you.

AOB :o

How did you organise it JoJom. Was the risk assessment a nightmare. What sort of activities did you do. I'm thinking of a tea on the beach after school towards the end of term and opening it up as a family event so that parents will bring their own children. The only downside is that not all may come along.

AOB

Hi ,

Im quite new to this site and i only get a chance to take a look now and then, but I was trying to think of some ideas for next terms plans and the seaside is a great idea. We have just finished a project on transport and the children loved the air travel and travel agents activities we did. I was hoping to extend it for them and the seaside topic is ideal. Thank you for inspiring me and the great resources links and the seaside in a bottle activity is fab!

If you have a look on sparkle box they have lovely resources for travel agents including passports and booking forms so you could role-play the whole trip from start to finish!

Lily

Wish I'd read about your seaside in a bottle, it sounds fab, but yesterday I did the bottles filled with blue water and glitter and little plastic shells/fish I'd bought from ELC inside. They absolutely loved making them and they looked really good. But I think the sand and shells sounds better. DOH! :o

we also made coffee filter fish and seaside themed biscuits - I know nothing new, but I am learning lol!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)