Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wrap A Round

Hi All

The Pre-school I will be managing provides wrap a round to the school nursery which is completely new to me.

How do you plan and assess for these children or do you?

I know its all learning through play buts its a long day. i will be planning for the younger children using birth to three so there will be workshop area, creative, music, sensory, heuristic, story tent, mark making, outside.

Would you just allow the children to enjoy all the areas and the nursery to plan their learning journey?

If so do you think parents will want to see written assessment etc?

Don't know if this helps but my setting is a school nursery that is registered to provide its own wraparound. This means that at the moment we have 2 ofsteds! - school ofsted looks at education part, early years ofsted looks at wrap - as we have no funded children in wraparound they only looked at the national standards not the foundation stage curriculum.

Our children use the main nursery room during their wraparound sessions and so planning is in place for all the continuous areas of provision. We do have an adjoining room which they use whilst nursery is having group-time etc so they don't experience the routine being repeated in the afternoon. During this time the wraparound leader plans fun, play-based activities and uses a very simple planning format to record these - e.g. arts, craft, cooking, group games...

We don't make formal assessments during their wraparound session but any significant observations would be added to their profiles. the wrap leader uses observations of their interests to inform her planning.

Hi All

The Pre-school I will be managing provides wrap a round to the school nursery which is completely new to me.

How do you plan and assess for these children or do you?

I know its all learning through play buts its a long day. i will be planning for the younger children using birth to three so there will be workshop area, creative, music, sensory, heuristic, story tent, mark making, outside.

Would you just allow the children to enjoy all the areas and the nursery to plan their learning journey?

If so do you think parents will want to see written assessment etc?

hi

we have been offering wrap around for the last 4 years and we just let the children enjoy all we have to offer, no paperwork involved as you are providing care not education. We also have 3-5 year olds that we have to plan for so the chldren can access these activities as well as birth to three.

:o

Guest Wolfie

I agree with everything that has been said - work on building good links with the staff in the school nursery so that you can pass on significant observations of any wraparound children to the relevant member of staff in school. I see little point in having two files set up on the same child with "parallel" sets of observations and evidence of learning - much better to pool your resources and observations into one record!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)