Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition

Hi All,

I attended a conference yesterday in Colchester all about transition and was wondering if anyone else from the forum attended it, and if so what are your thoughts about it?. I enjoyed the day, felt a little lonely at times, as nearly everyone had come with someone, where as my setting only booked me a place on the conference, but apart from that i did enjoy it. There was a guest speaker, Liz Brooker, a university lecturer and researcher who i got the opportunity to have a one to one chat with. She researches early years and does interviews with pre school and reception aged children. I found it all very interesting. I was also very interested in the thoughts and ideas from teachers as to how they see nursery practitioners. Some lovely ideas were shared in how to make transition as positive an experience as possible when we know the transition will take place. I was very interested in Liz's idea of asking the children what they like and don't like about their nursery. I have decided to set this up as an activity, where the children will have use of a camera and will take photos of things they like and things they don't like about the nursery, we will then look at the photos and have a discussion on how we can make things better for them. I also learned about a project called, big idea, little voices. Has anyone else heard about this or even better been involved in it?

Rosepetal :o

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone!!

Just wanted to say a big thank you, just been reading all previous posts on the transition of starting school as I am currently doing my dissertation on it and thought by searching the forum I would find some new ideas,,,,, which I have!! So thank you!! :o

Essc

There was a really good article in EYE a couple of months back if you're still looking for ideas - written by the head of a Children's Cete in Gateshead and describing a scheme they pilotted which involved putting on sessions for parents of children attending the centre and going on into school.

If you want to know more, you might find back issues online - or come back to me and I'll hunt out the articel. I ended up contacting the author of the article by phone and she was more than willing to tell me all about the scheme in a lot more detail, including benefits and pitfalls.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)