Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Timetable

Hello everyone!

I am looking for some help with structuring a day with nursery children. Please don't think I am trying to impose a rigid timetable or trying to make it too mush like YR in a schoo, but I would like to know how people run their days in a day care setting with 3-5 yr olds. Can anyone help?! Any ideas would be greatfully recieved!

Matt

:o

Guest Wolfie

Hi Matt - do you have children in receipt of NEG funding for two 21/2 hour sessions during that day? I ask because I've just helped a nursery "revamp" their daily timetable to take account of those sessions and can post that if it helps!

Edited by Wolfie

I would also be interested in hearing how people structure nursery sessions. I am currently teaching Reception but as of September start in a new school as FS leader teaching Nursery with 2 21/2 hour sessions morning: older children, afternoon: younger children. I would love to hear people's rough layout of day so I can share it with new Head on Monday when I meet with her!

Guest Wolfie

What is the age range of the children ion the two nurseries that use these routines, Helen?

Edited by Wolfie

Wow! I am always amazed at the speed people reply on here! Most impressive!

Thanks for those timetables! I can see how it all works!

I work in two nurseries in two children's centres - so we have both day care and 'sessional' children...I like the idea of having some form of timetable/plan for day just to help staff in what needs to be done as well as ensuring the children are appropriately challenged - especially at this time of year when we have quite a number of older children.

Any more ideas would be great!

Matt

My routine is very flexible so quite difficult to set down in a format but I will try.

We are open 8:45 -15:15, five days a week, have am & pm and full day attendence. ( some am children also stay for lunch. We have children aged 2-4 yrs, and receive NEG.

8:45 door open.

arrivals can continue until 9:30 so from arrival children:

self register

access continuous provision

help prepare snack bar which remains open for all the session ( food away at 11am, so as not to spoil lunch)

9:30

I may call 'mat time' this depends, sometimes the children have become engrossed in activities and so we may leave mat time until later. Mat time consists of good mornings, day of week, news, intro to activity ie: today introduced vegetables that children had bought in to explore.

OR: Depending on various factors we may go out for a local walk, to buy snack bar supplies, to the beach, park or local estate.

9:30 - 10:30 am or even until 11am depending on childrens involvement levels. Continuous provision plus adult directed activity ( individual children or small groups)

10:30 story ( or 11 am) if at 10:30 then continuous provision follows for half hour.

11:15 ish songs, music, dance , movement. physical activities

11:40 mat for goodbyes or prepare for lunch.

Lunch 11:45 - 12:15 then free play

some children go home at 12:45

afternoon session starts at 12:45 and follows the same pattern as morning.

Basically children arrive, we stop for lunch, children go home. (Fuul day)

sessions - Children arrive then children go home

during every session, delivered in context of the days dynamics children will have:

self registration in and out of preschool ( names on board or put in tin when leaving)

continuous provision - self selection covering all 6 areas of learning

adult directed activities

full group adult led time ie: story, songs, PE, walk, mat time.

times to tidy up, as needed.

Just over the last few weeks the children have self directed themselves into group eating, group story, and group action songs. One of the girls role plays the teacher and the others ALL follow, it's amazing to see, they even do it at around the same time each day. :o

Peggy

continuous snack bar which includes children self selecting and washing up.

Guest Wolfie

In our room for 2-4 year olds we have some children wo stay all day, claiming two NEG sessions, but still need a nap after lunch and that creates a challenge when ensuring that they access both sessions - does anyone else have the same problem?

Taking a nap meets the FSC, aspect health and bodily awareness. Can't remember the specific stepping stones but something like " Knows when they need to rest". :o:(

would also fit PSE - "feels confident and secure" ( otherwise would not be able to sleep xD ) Other children would "have consideration for others needs". by being quiet around children who are sleeping.

The curriculum should fit the child, not the child fit the curriculum. :(:(

Peggy

Thanks for this! It makes a lot of sense!

I guess it is just reassuring to see what others do in terms of their day!

Is your room set up in workshop style? With different areas fo different AoL?

One of my settings is much smaller than the other so we are looking at using rotating boxes as the different areas...

Matt :o

• 1 month later...
Guest Teddy Togs
In our room for 2-4 year olds we have some children wo stay all day, claiming two NEG sessions, but still need a nap after lunch and that creates a challenge when ensuring that they access both sessions - does anyone else have the same problem?

Wolfie, dated May 16th, 2007.

Just browsing and caught your statement about children accessing two NEG sessions in one day. Can anyone confirm that this is permitted, as I understood that just one NEG session per day would be permitted per child. If this is the case, our playgroup has lost out financially, bigtime!!!!!! Thanks Teddy Togs

Wolfie, dated May 16th, 2007.

Just browsing and caught your statement about children accessing two NEG sessions in one day. Can anyone confirm that this is permitted, as I understood that just one NEG session per day would be permitted per child. If this is the case, our playgroup has lost out financially, bigtime!!!!!! Thanks Teddy Togs

Hi Teddy togs,

many of our children also access two NEG sessions a day, and as far as i am aware that is permitted

Dawn

I have proivided 2 sessions in 1 day for 4 years. Ofsted are aware of this. Our early years are encouraging all settings to plan to provide 15 hours over 3 days in the future!!!!!!

Providing 2 sessions a day keeps many parents happy.Fortunately children don't seem sleepy but they can lounge, rest or sleep if they wish. The others just seem to play around them. We have bean bags in quieter areas for this. A sleepy child usually springs to life when we open the door for outside play.

Guest Wolfie

Yep, in my last two jobs we have always had children accessing two sessions a day - that's a real shame if you weren't made aware of that possibility.

Teddytogs I DO remember there being a statement in the guidelines stating that a child was only allowed 1 session a day. This all fell by the wayside when we were all encouraged to provide wrap-around care. When children were only allowed 1 session per day I had children that attended my group in the morning and paid for sessions at another group in the afternoon so I couldn't really understand why 2 sessions were forbidden anyway.

Guest Teddy Togs

:o Thankyou all. What I should have made clearer was;

Wolfie, 16th May, gave me the impression that the children were staying for two sessions per day (as do ours, with lunch) and the nursery were able to claim two NEG payments per day for this.

I apologise for lateness of reply.