Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Awareness Of Rhyme And Alliteration

We feel that our children are poor on this but I worry we are maybe being too harsh and expecting too much. None of them have ever made a comment spontaneously about things beginning with the initial letter sound of their name. I have given it to children who predict a rhyming word in a couplet when we share rhyming books or to those who are now playing with rhyme and making nonsense or real word rhymes. One said I and my they rhyme ! Am I in step with what you do bearing in mind this is a stepping stone??? Thanks, Catriona

Guest Wolfie

I would consider that being able to add the rhyming word in the context of a rhyme or story would be good evidence for this stepping stone. :o

I think the keyword is 'awareness'. I often feel my children are aware of rhyme and alliteration and have a jolly good go, with great enthusiasm but do we consider it achieved..........

I feel more comfortable if I get to go through the profile with the receiving reception teacher with whom I have a good relationship built over time and who definitely understands where I am coming from. What about moderation tho..........

Will all this become easier in EYFS - I hope so but I'm not convinced

I think that the examples in handbook are very basic - 'sometimes distinguishes one sound from another, or notices when words begin with the same sound.'

'.......laughs when the last word of the rhyme is changed.'

I have to say I find this one a nightmare but I also think the key word is awareness. I have made a set of picture rhyming cards and ask the children to match them up eg bat and hat, ball and wall, cake and snake etc.If they can find or tell me the correct word or picture at least 3 times they get it. However they also have to have the awareness of alliteration as well to get the point. Again I am planning to use picture cards to assess if the child has an awareness, that is can they find me the pictures that start with the same sound. We do tend to be on the harsh side in our Foundation Stage so I would only give them the point if they can do it with 3 different letters.

I am interested in the replies to this topic.

Zambonie

• 2 years later...

Hi I hope you don't mind, I was perusing the forum looking for something totally different and found this old message.

We found that for rhyme and alliteration If we gave the children a picture with the phonically same sound i.e. dannial has a dog by his name d for dannial d for dog, this gave the children an interest point as they are all different and then they did the rest. They use their name cards for everything from art to computers. We also use letters through out the room with the same pictures on which phonetically correspond. (sorry about the spelling!)

Some days the sit aroun the snack bar and compare. On the computer they use recognition and so on. I hope this helps.

KAT.

I realise this is an old thread, but our children are mustard with this!!

Have you heard of 'Rhythm, rhyme and robot'?? Or is this just specific to our LEA??

It really engages the children and they have really caught on to rhyme and alliteration, as well as breaking down and building up simple words.

I'm in a day nursery, by the way.

Sue

I realise this is an old thread, but our children are mustard with this!!

Have you heard of 'Rhythm, rhyme and robot'?? Or is this just specific to our LEA??

It really engages the children and they have really caught on to rhyme and alliteration, as well as breaking down and building up simple words.

I'm in a day nursery, by the way.

Sue

Never heard of 'Rhythm, rhyme and robot', but I'm very interested - especially if it has great results. Can you give us any more information Sue?

Tongue Twisters are a good way to have fun with alliteration

and good old making rhyming strings with your name causes great hilarity (and also lots of experimentation)

Poor Ellie the boys had a field day - smelly belly

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think about LSL5 Hears and says sounds in words (in order in which they occur) ? Do you think children have to be completely reliable at saying all 3 sounds in a CVC word they hear eg sun = s...u..n. If so, this is pretty demanding.

What do you think about LSL5 Hears and says sounds in words (in order in which they occur) ? Do you think children have to be completely reliable at saying all 3 sounds in a CVC word they hear eg sun = s...u..n. If so, this is pretty demanding.

yes the child needs to be able to orally segment the word

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)