Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Baseline

hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have recently moved to a new school and in September we have to complete a baseline for our nursery children. Does anybody have or know if there are a bank of activities matched to the stepping stones that we can use for baseline activities, for example what stepping stones playing with playdough might address, I would just like to know if there is a range of activities out there that address all of the stepping stones? This would then form our planning for the early weeks. If this doesn't sound right then can anyone help me out by suggesting ways of completing nursery baseline?? :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

I'm sorry I can't help you because I was just coming on here to post a very similar post! I am starting up a brand new FS - and would like to set up a Nursery baseline which shows progression into Reception and would love to know what others use. It needs to be manageable but trackable for Ofsted!

Thank you. Would love to hear what others do too.... how do you get data that produces nice percentages for Ofsted?

I have to be honest and say when OFSTED came to us, they we'ren't interested in percentages at all Puzzles. They were happy with what they saw and talked to us and the children. There is something called ASPECTS that is computerised that you could enquire about from the CEM Centre that do the PIPS baseline disc, it's from Durham university. However, as any other computerised assessment task it only gives a picture of 'one moment in time' rather than a rounded judgement...but if you are stuck it might help give some ideas. It does give value-added judgements/graphs at the end of nursery as far as I'm aware but haven't actually used it as our school decided against it

Here's the link for you though in case you want to know more:

http://www.cemcentre.org/RenderPage.asp?LinkID=11110000

Edited by Guest

Guest Wolfie

That's very interesting -thank you for that link Kermit. Having had a quick look, I have to say that I'm not overly impressed with the sample question attached to a picture, it just sets "test situation" alarm bells ringing in my head. And the cost could be quite considerable if you have a large nursery. But I have to say, there IS a market out there for some kind of effective baseline assessment, especially when Ofsted have started to ask for figures and percentages and are looking at the "value added" aspect of pre-school experiences, which they certainly have - I know from personal experience!

This whole development just fills me with horror - they are CHILDREN, not figures!!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)