Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making Slime

Hello

We made slime a while back using glue, borax & glycerine. It worked lovely and then I lost the recipie so I found a different one that didn't use the glycerine and it was rubbish so I was wondering if anyone has any slime recipies.

If you have any other fun recipies too that would be appreciated we make gloop and play dough but something for a change would be quite good

DEb

Recipe to make Slime

Ingredients

5 tablespoons PVA glue

1 pint water

2 teaspoons Borax

1 Tablespoon glycerine

Food colouring

Directions

• Mix Glue, glycerine & colouring together.

• Add water gradually retaining a small amount in which to mix the borax.

• When thoroughly mixed, mix the borax with the remaining 60 mls of water and add to glue mixture.

• Whisk or stir thoroughly.

• Store in an air tight screw top jar.

Ive been looking for that recipe for ages, got it from a parent and onlly used it once before it "went missing". tx, i found another one earlier today...

"All it is is just 2 cups of liquid starch and 1cup of glue and whatever food coloring you choose. Ooze is slimier play dough. It's like Nickelodeon Gack if you have seen it. You can't build anything with it but you can thin it out and hold it in front of you and blow bubbles in it. It's really like glue without the stickiness and it holds together more if you put 3 cup of starch or more you end up with silly puddy...it's a lot of fun!!!"

Not sure how good it is, but im gonna try it tomorrow. Even if its not that good, the kids will love trying.

Recipe to make Slime

Ingredients

5 tablespoons PVA glue

1 pint water

2 teaspoons Borax

1 Tablespoon glycerine

Food colouring

Directions

• Mix Glue, glycerine & colouring together.

• Add water gradually retaining a small amount in which to mix the borax.

• When thoroughly mixed, mix the borax with the remaining 60 mls of water and add to glue mixture.

• Whisk or stir thoroughly.

• Store in an air tight screw top jar.

Thank you Marion that is great will try it tomorrow

Wasn't sure what Borax was so I looked it up:

Borax is a very safe substance with low toxicity for humans and higher animals. It still very effective as an anti-bacterial, cleaning, fungicidal, and bleaching agent.

You learn something new every day!

I once tried to get Borax from a chemist, explaining what I was going to use it for and he pointed out the red X on the side warning of the toxicity. He advised against me using it. But now I have seen your explanation LJW I think I will give it a go. I' m sure many children have had access to it without detriment to their health. xD

A bit like shaving cream, I don't use that because of warnings on the container to keep away from children. Although I know it is used in many, many settings, even featured in nursery world as an activity idea. Yet on the other hand, another post is asking about having permission to apply nappy cream ( I presume on nappy rashes :o ). Just have to balance safety without stopping opportunities to explore, I suppose.

I also have a child who attends every day who's parent is very much against anything 'chemical' living a totally organic life re: food, cleaning agents etc.

Just a thought or two.

Peggy

I tried to get Borax from our local chemist but was told they dont sell it anymore. I'm having problems getting some

Borax can be bought in boots glycerine can be found in sainsburys in the cooking isle.

none of my children have ever had a reaction to it, but it does clean your jewellery up beautifully

Deb

That's very useful. I had no idea what Borax was either or where to find glycerine so I'm glad someone else asked first :o lol.

I have a child who has 'sensory issues' so I think I'll be making buckets of slime for him to play with! Not to mention my own 10 and 8 year olds will love it!

Thanks!

I always make slime when i am on "playdough" duty as whenever i make playdough my kitchen takes a while to recover. I mix the slime together in a ziploc bag and then it is easier to agitate it for the chemical reaction to occur.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)