Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recording Development 0 - 24 Months

Hello everyone. This is my first go at posting a topic, so hope it gets through!

I would like to introduce my staff to a new procedure for recording the development of our babies & toddlers using a digital camera. I plan to start in the babies' room.

Has anyone experience of doing this? I would welcome any advice or suggestions, including how you cover confidentiality/child protection issues & so on.

I would also like any examples of paperwork used for recording photographic evidence in line with the Birth to Three framework.

How did you 'sell' the topic to the staff? Did you do an audit on technological skills? What support did they need? Is there anything else I need to think about?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this. Once it's up & running I'll gladly help anyone else who would be interested in doing the same.

Rosie

Hi Rosie, and welcome to the site :o

I worked in a children's centre for a year and introduced this type of recording with the staff team there, including the staff in the babyroom. I showed them a child's records from my own nursery (which we call "Special Books") and they thought they were a lovely record of the child's time at nursery. No rocket science involded! The special books are A4 ring bound lined books (around £1.10 from Smiths),where the keyworkers record significant achievements, interests,etc and stick in photographs of the child with a caption lifted from B to 3 or the FS (or now, the EYFS development matters stages).

I didn't really need to sell it to the staff once they saw one for themselves (you might need to do a mock one to show them!). One or two members of staff were keen to develop their ICT skills so they were encouraged and helped to use the digital camera first, and to upload the photos onto the nursery computer. After a few months, all members of staff were doing their own, as they helped each other.

Parents were informed about photos being taken and used for the books, and we obtained signed permission froms from them. Nobody refused.

The books, as they grew, were loved by the staff and parents, and as the children grow older, they will share them with their friends and staff at the nursery, and take them home when they leave the setting. They are great for writing reports for your leavers, too.

The downsides are:

Staff need non-contact time to complete them. My staff get an hour each week to stick in photos and other work, observations, and write comments in the books. I print out the photos and put them in each member of staff's magazine box file to save time, so when they have their non-contact time, they're all ready to go.

Costs of printing out thousands of photos!!

Hi Helen.

Thank you for getting back so quickly & for taking the time to give such a detailed reply.

Lots of good suggestions here! Your system sounds excellent. I'm loking forward to getting ours up & running.

Thanks Helen,

Rosie

Welcome from me too Rosie, I also use photo's similar system to helen except we only print a few pics to enhance the presentation of the achievement file, the rest of the childs photo's are downloaded to a CD which is placed in the front cover of the book. ( saves on ink)

The only time we have to consider permissions is if there is a looked after child in our setting, the child can still have photo's done but when taking photos of all the other children you need to ensure the LAC is not in the back ground of photos that other parents will have. ( anonymity - excuse spelling !)

great idea, and I'm sure once up and running your staff will gain a lot of satisfaction in this visual record of their works achievement.

Peggy

Thank you Peggy. I think the idea of a cd is a great one - once you start snapping you end up with loads of pics - expensive as you say. My staff are looking forward to it, so thanks on their behalf. Not sure what LACs are? Is it the other children?

Rosie

Than you Janine. That'll teach me to read more carefully. Peggy had given the clue early on in her mail!

Rosie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)