Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Format

As some of you know, I am moving to reception from Yr 6 in Sept. We are having time in staff meeting slot after half term to plan ahead for next year. Our present reception teacher is leaving under a cloud and is not prepared to advise me on formats for medium term plans and to be honest, I don't really want to duplicate her old ones which have not changed in any way for over 6 years.

I am so used to planning from Literacy, Numeracy strategies, QCA or LCP etc. I would really appreciate some advice from anyone who thinks they can help. If you have an example of how you do it, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Moisy

Hi Moisy,

I'm just going to move this into the planning part. Perhaps in the meantime you could have a look through some of the past discussions to see if there is anything there of use and also try the resource library. :o

Hi Moisy. I found myself in a similar situation to you 3 years ago. The then Reception teacher left and deleted all of her plans from the server. Her classroom hadn't been sorted out in years and I got rid of 2 industrial bins full of junk. Whilst this sort of behaviour is totally unprofessional, spiteful and unkind it does at least mean that everything you do will be 100% yours and after you've got over feeling quite justifiably angry there's something satisfying about starting from scratch. I've been through quite a few different formats for planning and finally have something I feel happy with. I don't do a detailed medium term plan as I got fed up with duplicating stuff on my short term plans. Instead I do an overview of the main learning intentions for each week. The numbers in brackets relate to the ELGs for each area. Here's a copy of my medium term plan for this term RECEPTION_MEDIUM_TERM_PLAN.doc and an example of my short term plans week_4.doc.

For my long term plan I use a tick list of the ELGs ELGs_term_by_term.doc.

I also do a weekly literacy and numeracy plan. Everyone here is really helpful and I'm sure lots of other people will give you examples of what they do so that you can come up with something that you're happy with.

Good luck!

Edited by Guest

Gosh, Moose. What a lot of work you have put into your planning!

Thank you very much for sharing this with me and your words of support.

I think your tick list is very useful to ensure coverage of ELGs-Thanks again.

Does everyone else do a similar thing?

Moisy

Guest tinkerbell

Hi and welcome Moisy

Take a look at the Norfolk LEA foundation planning a lot of people have found that is a good start and you can adapt as you feel your feet.Sally Featherstone also does some good planning and I have used herCD planning for mixed yr1/R.

Be aware that there is a new Foundation curriculum and you can get free copies from Teacher net if they havent come into school.Also you will find that you will need to adopt a 'sythetic'phonic approach to teach the children to read, the standards site has information on this.

Keep following the threads on here and you won't go far wrong...enjoy the move ,it really is a wonderful year group to teach.

Tinkerbellx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)