Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

More Questions New Preschool

Hi me again thank you for all your replies its been a great help.

More questions!!!!

I now need to look at Grants has anyone applied for start up funding/grants I have spoke to my partnership adviser who said there none available for preschools. Has anyone else had any luck and who did they apply to??

Guest Wolfie

When I started up there were grants available from a section of the National Lottery - the New Opportunities Fund. I think that one has finished now but there always seem to be new pots of money springing up with different titles under the National Lottery. Have you looked at the Awards for All website - I'm not sure how big their grants are but "every little helps"! There is also something in our area called the Local Network Fund - I'm not sure whereabouts in the country you are (we're West Midlands) but I think that there maybe branches of that nationwide. Try Googling it!

There are reference books in libraries all about places that you can apply to for grants and there's also a software package called something like "Fundfinder" that helps you look for funding. The software is very expensive but you might find that your local library has it available in their reference section.

When we moved to purpose built premises, there were no grants available to us because 'we (apparently) live in an affluent area' and we were not offering new places. However the new 'afterschool club' (which is being run by the pre-school to pay the loan) was able to get a Sure Start Grant of £10,00. This is because it was offering a new facility therefore additional places! They were then able to buy equipment and resources for it!

Hi sophiemarie, it depends on what area you are in ( just looked on your profile but it says unknown! i'm sure you know where you are!!) We apply to our local town council who buy all of our craft equpiment for us. The lottery funding is great we got a climing frame through them, the forms can be a bit off putting but well worth it!

Guest Wolfie

I agree - filling in Lottery forms is a nightmare but well worth the agony - there's a knack to writing bids I've discovered...do your homework beforehand and find out exactly what sort of projects and outcomes they are most likely to fund and word your bid accordingly!

You should check with your LEA early years child care officer who should be able to tell you if they have funding from Sure Start for start up pre-schools. it does depend on the area and need for a new group. if there is no need for a pre-school then look at doing a breakfast club or lunch club to get a grant to help back you up. If your LEA is not very helpful try the Sure Start website they might have some info on grants.

Good luck

Can you get Lottery grants though if you are a private business? I thought you had to be a charity? You get loads of money if you are a charity.

We are a private business you can get some for training etc but not to pay for equipment. You LEA should be able to help

Deb

I am a private business and have had lottery money twice.I have always increased the existing provision. The first time I got about £1000 for starting a lunch club. the second time about £10.000 for starting a holiday club. I was able to claim for new equipment/ surfacing and fencing a garden area and an amount to cover decoration of hall and renovation of toilets. Filling in the forms was very time consumng but well worth it.

That is really interesting. We are having a patio laid at the moment and it is costing a fair bit do you think we could claim for that?

Sorry to hijack your post