Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mixed Year Groups

We have a dilemma in school that is going to need to be resolved with mixed age group classes, yr1/2 or a yr2 class with a yr1 class and a mixed yr2/yr1 which would be predominantly yr1. for those of you who work in schools with vertically grouped classes which would you prefer and why?

Susan,

I know that one of the local schools has to group their classes vertically. Obviously the only experience I have had is from parents commenting on this. The main problem is that they tend to do a Yr1/Yr2 mix, Y2 on their own then maybe have a mixed Yr2/Yr3 and so on up the years. This is obviously split according to ability. The two main problems seem to be how the parents take this when their child ends up in the lower end of the mix, and the fact that classes are changed year in year out so good friends often end up being split.

I have taught in mixed reception/ Y1 with a pure reception class and a pure Y1 class when numbers were highbut it was with a head that had a top down approach and I felt the reception children missed out by not having practical experiences and were expected to understand concepts they had never met before.

Thanks for that perspective Beau, it is one of the issues that has been raised and will need to be carefully addressed with the parents. Some sort of mix is inevitable though so I was hoping for some views of people working in mixed age group classes. At the moment reception will not need to be included in this but thats an interesting perspective Marion, that could be relevant although wont it be easier in 3 vertically grouped classes to avid this than with one mixed class?

I also teach in a small school where all our classes are mixed year groups. I have R and the least 'mature' year 1's of which I have 9. It is very difficult to teach these 2 age groups as they are 2 different key stages, I can assure you that the other end of the school would not teach Y6 and Year 7 together. I think what tends to happen in the rest of the school (with regards to following NNS and NLS objectives etc) is they follow the oldest group and make it easier for the younger year group, and then they do it again the next year when they actually are that year group - if that makes sense. I know that the Y1/2 class who have the 'more able' year 1's decided by me - basically it's children who could cope in a very formal environment and sit at a desk all day, rather than needing to still play. I know this teacher finds it immensely difficult because of pressure of SATs. Basically she teaches the Y2's and her TA teaches the Y1's. I think if you had say 2 classes of Y1'2 mix, then at least you would have a parallel class to plan together etc. I have to say I would avoid mixed classes like the plague, as I'm not sure that it benefits either the children or the teachers. One benefit for me I just thought of is that by having Y1's in the class they can be like mini mes when the new R children start and don't know where anything is or how to do anything!!!

thanks sunbeam.

At the moment Reception will remain separate from this but the very small classes can no longer be sustained we re budget so they will need to be mixed in some way.

Guest tinkerbell

I have a mixed R/Yr1 class and this year the yr1 are all girls which is a 'mini me' advantage as Sunbeam says, they lead the r in phonic and maths games etc and are really good models for tidying up etc.....however last years yr1s were all boys and they were not good 'mini mes' the reception children were far better behaved....these boys who had lots of play based learning and outdoor experiences with me have not settled down in year2 , it has left me pondering the whole carry on.

If we had an ideal building I think somesort of team teaching r/yr1/yr2 with the 2 teachers and two TA's could be good but we are in a 130 year old squashed rooms building.

I have in the past taught yr2/yr1 (half of year1) am and taken the rest of the year1s for the afternoon which was over 30 leaving the other class with 15 reception not fair really and very squashed.

Could you have straight year groups am and mix them in the afternoon or something like that?

Perhaps to have two mixed classes yr2/yr1 would make the planning easier forthe two teachers and no grumbles from the parents.

Good luck Tinkerbell.x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)