Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Floating And Sinking

Hey,

I am a trainee teacher and my mentor would like me to teach the topic of floating and sinking over the course of 5 weeks. I am wondering whether anyone has taught this area before and could give me some tips.

Thank you

Sarahjayne

I can give you some ideas...

Make boats- give them junk modelling equipment and tell them they have to make a boat that can carry ????? I give mine cuddly toys they are more concerned about getting it wet and want it t stay dry.

Make boats from tin foil-- square of foil, who can make a boat that can carry the most marbles.

Make a collection of outside stuff, leaves, stones twigs etc, see which float and which sink. This is good if you put them into a bucket without any water. Add the water and watch which come to the surface and which stay down. Get them to predict before hand. Why do you think it will float?

Balloons: one with some water and one with air-- (this one gets them every time!) float/sink?

rubber rings, armbands etc without air first what happens will they help us swim? Blow up, why do they help us swim now?

Jelly boats are fun- cut orange in half and scoop out flesh fill with jelly when set cut each half in half so have a segmet add a mast and flag.

Look at water creatures, which skim on surface which sink.

Design a rubber ring

Marbling pictures add marbling ink to water and lay paper on top

Bubbles in the water : Blow bubbles into the water with a straw, why do they sit on top of the water?

hope they help a bit...

I taught a one off lesson on floating & sinking which was observed. I have a lesson plan and SMART presentation. I also introduced the concept by watching a short clip on BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/digger/5_7entry/8.shtml

We then looked at various objects in a small group, the ch'n predicted which items they thought would float/sink. This was recorded on the interactive whiteboard.

The children were so enthusiastic we follwed up the lesson by trying to float their plasticine boats - they all sank!! this promted us into making boats and rafts using lollipop sticks, corks and cocktail sticks. We tested these and even tried to carry 'care bear' passengers.

I will try & attatch plan & SMART presentation - if unsuccessful let me have your email address

Tracy

I am unable to upload SMART file - sorry!!

Lesson_Plan_12.03.07.doc

Tracyrb - really like the website for floating and sinking - will use it tomorrow. (Just had an observed lesson on Monday by OFSTED - they watched me do a practical lesson on floating and sinking)!

Sarahjayne2 - good luck and enjoy your lessons (we are using the topic of water to cover various concepts. I was looking for a good book about water/floating and sinking didn't come up with much but Mr Archimedes' Bath by Pamela Allen is an interesting story).

I taught a one off lesson on floating & sinking which was observed. I have a lesson plan and SMART presentation. I also introduced the concept by watching a short clip on BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/digger/5_7entry/8.shtml

We then looked at various objects in a small group, the ch'n predicted which items they thought would float/sink. This was recorded on the interactive whiteboard.

The children were so enthusiastic we follwed up the lesson by trying to float their plasticine boats - they all sank!! this promted us into making boats and rafts using lollipop sticks, corks and cocktail sticks. We tested these and even tried to carry 'care bear' passengers.

I will try & attatch plan & SMART presentation - if unsuccessful let me have your email address

Tracy

I am unable to upload SMART file - sorry!!

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)