Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numeracy

I have sung a song throughout the year with my class (I have R and younger Y1's) from Tom Thumbs Maths book (maths songs to tunes you already know) It is to the tune of Jack and Jill I think and counts in tens and in hundreds. I also made a snakes and ladders game for the children to use as a paired activity where they had to move up 10 or down 10 depending on whether they landed on a beanstalk or an axe (this was more for my year 1's). We were doing Jack and the beanstalk story at the time.

Jack_and_bean_game.doc

Gloves : sorting gloves into pairs, how many fingers on the gloves, Design gloves for everyone in your family how many fingers in your family. Rubber gloves in water tray.

Hand prints how many fingers in class? Foot prints how many toes in class

Building a wall for Humpty 10 bricks in each row

Farm 10 animals in each field how many altogether

Flower shop 10 flowers in each pot

Build a car park for 60 cars 10 on each level

Is there a song about a centipede wearing socks that involves counting in tens?

I am sure it was on a video my daughter used to have. Unfortunately can's find video to check.

Sue

Some of mine are okay at counting in 10s, emphasis on the 'some'! I just explained it as being an easy way to count lots of things quicker. I had some children to hold up their fingers and we commented how long it would take to count all the fingers. We then checked and found, miraculously, that we all had 10 fingers so a quicker way to do it would be to count in groups of 10. We used the Numicon 10s shapes too and they built towers of 10, separating each layer with pegs and then counting up in 10s to find how many their towers showed.

What worries me is that in the new Primary Framework it says that by the end of YR MOST children should be able to count in 2s, 5s AND 10s! HAH! Well I'm not holding out much hope for this year and I've got a bright class. I think this is a lot of random, unconnected sequences for young children to learn. Numbers don't really mean anything, do they, unless they have a context. It's probably got something to do with them having moved all the requirements for learning times tables to earlier years than previously. They just never learn do they? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)