Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help From Anyone In North Lincs

Rea

I cant believe I havent thought to ask you wonderful people this before.

I'm trying to find a place in North Lincs which I am led to believe printed a book called WE SAT ALONE by Harry Whitfield. Mr Whitfield died about 2 yrs ago from what I've been told but in 1998 he self published the book in which he descibes during 1945 seeing the Lancaster my grandad was in being hit and going down. There were no survivors.

The address I have for the publishers is Appletree cottage Main Street, Howsham Market Rasen, North Lincs LN7 6LD. Google isnt giving me much so I've just emailed an estate agents there, but thought someone on here is maybe from that neck of the woods and might know anything about that particular street, likewise if anyone has a copy of the book or ever sees it I'd be really interested in knowing.

Thanks folks :o

I was brought up in Lincolnshire only 5 miles from Market Rasen and went to De Aston the Secondary School there. I'm not sure what the Howsham part of the address is, but could ask my mum (who still lives in that neck of the woods) if she has ever heard of the cottage. Best of luck with your investigation. As a child growing up near to RAF Binbrook I spent endless hours watching the planes, including the Lancaster Bomber, fly over our chimney pot.

Dont know what happened to other reply.... :o

Thanks for that earlidawes, any info is always welcome. xD

We want the book but I cant find the publisher, the closest we can get is the address in Lincs. Hay-on-Wye has checked the central computer with no luck and I've trawled every 2nd hand book shop I've ever been close to.

Thanks in advance to your mom too. :(

have you tried abe books? I just quickly did a search for you but they didnt have it. However the page it led me to said that if it's out there they can find it! The gauntlet is down... do let us know if you succeed

(p.s I'm a yellow belly too!)

abe books

Thanks for that apple, the link doesnt work unfortunatly but i think I've tried them in the past. I'll certainly give it another go, but not yet, I'm watching the re-run of Bomber crew and then Lancasters at war. xD

Obsessed or what??? :(

P.S. what does yellow belly mean?? :o

The book is mentioned on the site of the British Aviation Archaelogical Council but unfortunately the publisher isn't mentioned. For some other authors it says 'self-published'. They recommend using abe books to track them down. It does come under the heading of books relevant to the 9th squadron, which might help a bit. Interstingly the author is listed as Fred Whitfield not Harry.

It might be worth trying one of the local libraries to see if they have a copy? Or what about the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight based at RAF Coninsgby? As a long shot you could even try Lincolnshire County Archives & see what they suggest.

FRED!!!!

I knew that so why did I say Harry? Thats our cats name :o

Thanks for the info weightman. I hadnt heard of the British aviation council so thats a new one to try and I'll get in touch with the other places you suggested. The book was self published which is wy Hay-on-Wye couldnt find it, it maes them rare.

9 Sqd flew out of Bardney in Lincs so local libraries might be the answer.

Thanks a load xD