Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hatching Chicks!

chicks_1.docSo excited! :( Have hatched chicks in my class for the first time today. Have been teaching for years but have never ever got round to doing it before amazingly.

We are now the proud parents of 5 chicks and can't wait to go in tomorrow morning and see if the last 5 eggs have done anything! And what a shame I have to look after them at home for the long bank holiday weekend! :( The children have not done any of the work planned but we have some great language in the classroom as well as fabulous art work and role play - bliss!

The entire school seems to have been visiting us today and we go on a tour of the other classes with the brooder box tomorrow. My team as ever have a warped view of life and have named some of them Sid (because he was vicious and pecking the others!) and Nando (after the chicken restaurant) - makes me worry for their sanity actually! xD The male members of staff don't understand our female obsession and 'aahing' over the little bundles of fluff at all - it must be a boy girl thing! :(:o I know some of you have done this before but I also know you will humour me in my enthusiasm to share with someone!

It's so exciting isnt it we did it not long ago it was a wonderful experience and the children loved it. We had the dodgy names as well korma being one of them. Our chicks are now back on the farm and we hope to take the children to visit them soon!

When they are 2 weeks old the man comes and takes them back. If any parent wants to keep them they can but he advised us to 'vet' our parents and remind them they need to stay in their hot brood box for 5 weeks and then you need a pen and space for them etc, also you might get a rooster and not be very popular with your neighbours!

When he takes them back they go to an adult education centre near him and they look after them - none end up on the dinner table!

Don't know about the children but I had eggs this morning for breakfast without a twinge of guilt! :o