Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Questionnaire

I am feeling very frustrated as I held a staff meeting last week on equal opportunities for The Bristol Standard dimension. I said that I felt that it was a strength of the setting that I valued everybody equally for contributions that they individually make. I said that I hoped that they all felt valued too.

Well, there was absolute silence. I was really shocked about this as I have been making a tremendous effort to make staff feel valued.

As a result of this I have decided to hand out a staff questionnaire but do not really know where to start. I am going to give everybody time in nursery time to complete it if they wish to.

Has anybody used a staff questionnaire?? I would love to see one. Ideas really appreciated!

Thanks Peggy - that looks very thorough and will certainly help me with some idea of the kind of questions that I can ask.

I have since heard from my deputy that everyone does feel valued but they felt too embarassed to say so in the meeting in case it was viewed as being 'creepy' by their peers. Honestly!!!!

thanks again peggy

Glad to hear they do feel valued, a classic example of how we can misread silence :oxD

Will you still be doing a staff questionairre?

Peggy

Yes Peggy - I will still be doing a questionnaire. You have given me some good questions to ask and I have a few poignant questions up my sleeve as well. I think it will be useful.

I am surprised this post has not had more responses. Is it not something that people do as standard?? Maybe it is not necessary for everybody.

Hi, I've sent a copy of this fab questionnaire to our Preschool Committee, its fab thanx. I'm sure it's just the issues staff would like to address x

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Peggy. Lots of food for thought here. We have just had a change of ownership, so when & how could an adapted version be introduced would you suggest?

Rosie

I would say after about half a term, I would also suggest that the questionairres are collated by a person other than the boss ( maybe an early years advisor) and a summary of each question made for the boss. ie: 80% of respondents are not familiar with policies yet 20% are. action: look at ways to better inform staff of policies, involve staff with policy review.

This is how the questionairre was done for my staff ( collated by our QA mentor) and fed back to me as a working document. This method was explained to staff before they completed them, I got them to put their completed questionairres in an envelope and sign over the seal. xD This gave them the confidence to write exactly how they felt. We also had a chat about the benefits of 'constructive critisism' a skill useful for any team :o

let us know how it goes, ad I'd be interested in seeing your adapted version. :(

Peggy