Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery In School Grounds?

Has anyone set up a nursery in school grounds?

if so what ages does it cover?

I was speaking to a first school recently who may wish to proceed with this idea, they suggested me buying a portacabin and paying them a ground rent? Just wondered if anyone has gone down this route and what problems they encountered if any, what type of rent , opening hours and fees- are they similar to private providers?

Thanks

Guest Wolfie

Hi - yes, I did something similar - I opened a nursery within a school, renting two rooms from them. I have to say, it DID get very complicated because the school was a C of E school and the diocese had to get involved drawing up a lease - that was a very drawn out process which involved a LOT of solicitors' fees. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

We fundraised and installed our own portacabin with the grounds of a first school nearly 13 years ago. We took out a lease with the county council (solicitors were involved) and initially did pay some rent but no longer pay anything. Can't remember why, perhaps because we are a registered charity, independant of the school. We run as a sessional pre-school and liaise with the school. Has worked very well, as with any arrangement we do have to consider each other when changing opening hours etc.

Ideally we would like to be run by the school which has been discussed but, if it is possible, is a long way down the line. The reason being that it is getting harder and harder to find committees because of the responsiblity involved etc etc.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Hi, one of our sites is based in school grounds. From our initial registration, so long asthe premises are suitbably set up you can run from any age. We rent rooms from the school but have our own entrance and play areas. our fees are very reasonable, I would advise you to phone around some of the other nurseries and see what they are charging.

Think of what you are offering too, if parents use you as older children are in the school you could run an out of school club too.

We offer 8-5.30 and are open throughout the year. We have an really good relationship with the school which I think is really important for us, they are always happy to help.

Good Luck

Don't know if this helps but last year we opened an extended school .We are situated in the grounds of a local school which provides care for children age 3-11 from 8 a.m to 6p.m.

This includes pre-school for 3-5 year olds.

We were originally funded via a sure start grant and our building is a portakabin which as it is one of the new ones is much nicer than it sounds.

Have you approached you local EYDCP for help?Please let me know if there is anything you would like to know.

HI Thanks for you replies

I think the school are looking at term time only and the same as school hours Im not sure how this would work we dont have any schools with a nursery unit attached so its quite hard to dig for information from them

I have requested info from supplies of portabcabins, can you suggest anyone in particular, any idea of the price of them? How many children do you take ?

cheers

sharon