Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Small World In A Tuff Spot

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

What's the best small world set that you've ever created in a Tuff Spot? I'm running a session on Small World play for parents next week and I'd like to have one set up in the Tuff Spot that'll make them go "Wow!" and want to play with it!! I've got a few ideas but wondered if any of you have done someting special!

Not sure if this helps or how universal poundstretcher is but... I bought a little wooden village set for £3 which is an ideal size for a tuffspot.

We dont have a tuff spot yet, but i like the idea of doing a moon set up, i dont suppose its the best time of year for that though.

Hope someone has a better idea soon. :o

I did an ice mountain when ofsted were in and it went really well. They commented on what a wonderful opp for scientific processes to be explored and my kids absolutely loved it. Took photos at various points through t which were useful to put on IWB later and involve children in predicting what was going to happen. I have put a link in to one of my previous posts showing an easter builders tray that I created that children enjoyed too. here I have also attached a pic of an island builders tray I did:

post-5848-1177589463_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

Put tinfoil over the bottom of your builders tray and then sprinkle with cornflower. Tip several bags of ice (or preferebly big blocks of ice as children seem to love these and they last much longer) into the tray and pile them up like a mountain. You can also freeze small items (beads, buttons, petal, plastic animals etc) in the ice. Have a selection of salt; glitter; soap flakes; bubbles; food colouring and involve children in making additions to the environment. You can ask children to predict what will happen when they make changes to the ice mountain - giving them plenty of opps to watch the ice melting, colours changing and to discuss what they have observed. If you didn't want to add things to the tray and wanted a purely small world activity you can put lots of artic animals into the tray and some non-fiction books aroung it. Lastly is to try to keep a record of what happens to the mountain over time - something I have never got round to although I've done this activity several times - I just get too caught up in playing with the children. Am going to get someone to take photos next time we do this.

I have to admit that the ice mountain and the island ones are out of a book - '50 exciting ways to use a builders tray' by Helen Bromley (Lawrence Education Publications). There are lots in the series including a '50 exciting recipes for small world play' - we've got loads of them at school but I'd thoroughly reccommend the builders tray one. It the one I've used the most by far. It was £12 and worth every penny. They also do a Little book of Tuff Spots (I think it's the latest one out) and I purchased that expecting great things (I usually love the Little Books) however I have been disappointed by the content.

The Easter tray was my idea though - maybe I'll write my own book one day! :o

Lovely ideas Mookie. I went on a course early this year about developing literacy through sand and water play that was run by Helen Bromley. She provided lots of resources for us to set up small world 'scenes' and used things like green sand, rocks, logs and minibeasts; purple sand and princess and dragons and 'glass' spires; gravel and those large seed heads from pot puree along with conkers/acorns etc. Lots of lovely ideas, felt really inspired ... worth going on one of her courses if you get the chance. Sorry ... no pics :o

Harricroft

Guest Wolfie

Hi Harricroft - don't worry about not having pics.....your post reminded me that I too went on that course and bought the book - "The Small World Recipe Book"! I'm now browsing through it and browsing on Ebay to see what I can pick up cheaply and quickly! Thanks for the prompt! :o I wholeheartedly agree - anyone who gets the chance to go on a Helen Bromley course should go, she is inspiring...and SO normal!!!

We've done the usual, small roadway, sand, wet sand, sand and glass gems, florists gel,

Have you tried modelling sand? We got it from our Persil Stars (Finished now, boo). Although it says for age 5+ it was fine for the little ones. Its wax coated sand that you can model with. If you go on toys then arts and crafts in Amazon you can see some called Moon Sand I think...... expensive tho, but it can be washed and reused. Lots of uses. 1 kilo lasted ages.

This week we have put our tuff spot on the floor full of natural materials (pebbles from the beach, driftwood, sand, shells). Each day we have added a different element - dinosaurs, then glitter and a small amount of water, then some boxes. The boys loved it in particular and being on the floor seemed to make it more exciting for some reason!

We are currently developing our outdoor freeflow play and I am going to put it outside with a bucket, some sponges and water so that it can be a car wash! Wet but fun!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)