Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Planning, To Link Or Not To Link

Hi,

I have a question for reception teachers; Do your group activities in literacy always tie in with your whole class activities?

My numeracy whole class and group activities link in together, eg, if I am doing one more and one less, the majority of my groups will be working on this, at their own level. The thing is, I have always worked my literacy differently so that each group is working towards objectives and outcomes that may not have been addressed in my whole class literacy input. In other words, I have often treated the whole class input and the group work as separate lessons, to a certain extent. There are some elements that are linked but on the whole, I have not always tied the two together. I feel my children have learned a lot this year and are used to the idea of not working towards the same objectives as they did in the whole class lesson, but something a colleague has said has got me thinking. My colleague, who was mentoring a student I had in my class a while back, was all for the idea of tying in the two parts (She teaches Year 1 and as far as I know has no experience in the foundation stage) and told my student that ofsted would expect a full literacy lesson with all elements tying in. I am not debating this point or devaluing her opinion, as value her opinion as I do anyones, but I always got the impression that this was not necessary in reception as long as the children are progressing. When I said that for literacy, I do not link the two parts together, she accepted this, but said that she would encourage students to plan in this way because they would have to do this if they were working in Year 1 or 2, which I feel is a valid point. I now have two students in my class and feel the subject will come up again. I am wondering if I should be linking my two parts of literacy afterall.

By the way, I don't just teach random objectives. Each group has a focus for the week and I try to address this in my group planning. I have become accustomed to planning in this way because before Christmas I did not have a separate numeracy sessiona and focused on both literacy and numeracy objectives during 1 whole class session and one small group session.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading but I just want to hear what other people do?

Any replies will be gratefully received,

Ta

Jen xx

I too do not work as formally as it sounds that you are doing but that is completly down to teachers own prof judgement. Like Susan, my group work does usually link to the whole class work we have been doing. This term I am working in a slightly more formal way to prepare my children for Year 1 and so I am planning Lit and Maths seperately (usually do just one plan for everything and a provision plan) and my group work in Lit and Maths does tie in to my whole class inputs with the exception of my phonics. There are times where we will do a whole class input based on a text and then the group activities will be a phonic activity. I have attached a weekly Lit and Maths plan so you can see what I mean.

maths_plan.doc

Lit_wk_16_and_17.doc

I too do not work as formally as it sounds that you are doing but that is completly down to teachers own prof judgement. Like Susan, my group work does usually link to the whole class work we have been doing. This term I am working in a slightly more formal way to prepare my children for Year 1 and so I am planning Lit and Maths seperately (usually do just one plan for everything and a provision plan) and my group work in Lit and Maths does tie in to my whole class inputs with the exception of my phonics. There are times where we will do a whole class input based on a text and then the group activities will be a phonic activity. I have attached a weekly Lit and Maths plan so you can see what I mean.

Hi Mookie I have been struggling with planning for a long time and I plan in avery similar way to you would you mind awfully sending me a copy of your plannindg that you had last term where you plan for everything with asep provivision plan I would really like to see the proforma yu use as this is how I try to work.Many thanks I finally feel that I am getting on top of it all - magiccastlexxx

Edited by magiccastle

Here's my weekly planning for all areas (except phonics which I do seperately). I'm still using this format this term however now just doing my lit and maths seperate - hope it helps. Can't attach my provision planning as it's a format out of one of the Lewisham books and I handwrite onto the sheet each week. Could have a go at scanning it but not sure about copyright - anybody know?? I could pm you a list of the areas included on it if you like?

Week_8.doc

Thought I had sent you areply but it didnt work did something wrong sorry - thank you for the reply you have reassured me that I seem to be doing the right thing - finally!!!! Do you plan for phonic groups or do you follow the plan on your lit plan - just wondered? Thank you so much for your help you have made my dayxxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)