Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

So I Had The Appraisal

Hi

thanks for your good luck wishes everyone,

i was really nervous going for this appraisal, i try to reassure staff not to be nervous and there was myself panicking LOL

I arrived there and had to wait (more nerves) but once in there it was okay, more like a general chat.

They asked me to talk through my appraisal form that i had completed, hence rolled of a list of my 'strengths' they agreed with them and one of the directors thanked me for my performance and getting thru ofsted too.

They said that they have seen the nursery change and develop in ways they did not know it could develop,(bright displays, easier planning system, better observations, more parent/carer info, improved relations with staff) so it was really lovely to hear that. The director that interviewed me for the job told me that prior to the interview and prior to me making my application she knew i was 'manager material' and the interview was a 'mopping up' excercis, (whether that is true or not im not sure!) but she said that since i started a ssenior i had shown manager qualities but she felt i was unaware of them at the time.

They have said that they rest easy knowing that they have me there, and that i should be aware of my achievments especially since i am still young :o .

They recognised that i am commited to the nursery and that for me it is not just a job, it is far more than that, they thanked me for my commitment.

Obviously there is a section on the form for me to identify my weaknesses, and i felt that my relationship with my deputy was a weakness and also i felt that sometimes i am maybe too friendly with staff, thus making the line between professionalism and friendliness occasionaly blurred..... interestingly my deputy put exactly the same as her take on my weaknessess.... i talked this through and it was agreed that it is important to be friendly with staff but to make sure that the professional balance is well established.... and it is something i am constantly aware off.

I ahve been given the go ahed to update and shape some policies, which is great and to produce info packs re Bt3 and FS for parents.

I told them i really enjoy knowing that i am able to effect changes in the nursery and that our sudden increase in numbers is due to the hard work of myself, and of course the staff! xD ....

so i blew my own trumpet LOL, and you know what, why shouldn't i!, i work very hard for that nursery and its nice for me to recognise that in me.....

never in my wildest dreams did i think i would ever manage a nursery (in fact i actually did my college placement at the nursery i am in now, so wow what a change!!!) and now im doing it, im managing it and succeeding, it really is a nice feeling! :(

with regards to EYP they are not sure re my role yet, NO payrise either LOL, luckily money isn't the be all and end all just now :( ....

they thanked me hugely and that was that......

a really positive appraisal, and nice to hear praise about my efforts,

Dawn

Edited by Guest

I have never heard of the comment system before??!!

Appraisals are meant to be positive things, and target setting - so try not to worry Dawn.

Let us know how it goes please.

Have the other staff had the opportunity to comment too? If so I'm sure there will be a balance! Take a deep breath and count to 10 if there are any comments you don't like from your two senior members of staff so you can remain calm and professional.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine. Have the seniors had their appraisals?

Just deputy has had chance to commment, sadly!

Senior team have had appraisal with me, and they were certanly hmmm interesting!!!!!!.... fortunatly i do have some great comments about my work and management from other staff so i not overly worried, i don't think !!! LOL

Dawn

Have the other staff had the opportunity to comment too? If so I'm sure there will be a balance! Take a deep breath and count to 10 if there are any comments you don't like from your two senior members of staff so you can remain calm and professional.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine. Have the seniors had their appraisals?

Agree with others, appraisals should be 'positive' and not about grievances. The directors will I am sure get a balanced view if they have asked comments from all staff. Your dedication to forward thinking in terms of EYPS is an area they should recognise positively, they may need to go away and think about the answer to your question though, re your role as EYP :oxD:(

reflections on your achievements isn't sucking up, it's about identifying your strengths. Let them know you have also identified areas in which you want to further develop then the appraisal system can set shared goals for you to achieve this, including how your employers are going to support you in achieving them, such as time off for study if available. :(

good luck, you will be fine.

Peggy

Yes, good luck for tomorrow Dawn. I'm sure it will be fine! The latest appraisal system taking place at work at the moment is something called 360 appraisals (or similar) that my boss has learnt about on the FD. From what I can gather (as being a new member of staff, I've yet to take part) comments about your performance are made by supervisors, colleagues, parents and children, as well as yourself, hence the 360 degree thing. I personally think they are a fab idea, as everyone, particularly the parents and the children get to have a say, and as it is for their interests we are working, I think it is a very positive thing.

The latest appraisal system taking place at work at the moment is something called 360 appraisals (or similar) that my boss has learnt about on the FD. From what I can gather (as being a new member of staff, I've yet to take part) comments about your performance are made by supervisors, colleagues, parents and children, as well as yourself, hence the 360 degree thing.

Clare, sounds great, any chance you could get hold of a copy of this type of appraisal form at some point?

Just caught this thread Dawn and wanted to send virtual good luck, not that you need it, you are wonderful and surely that will be noticed, it's really hard to work as a team if you have the odd 'bad apple' isn't it?

Keep us posted and once again all the best, stand tall, shoulders back!!! oh and deep breaths.

That's amazing news Dawn. You should be really proud. You work so hard and what better reward than to have it recognised.

Well done you :o

Dawn - it's great to hear that the nursery has recognised your significant improvements. Everyone will now know you have their backing. Congratulations and enjoy the moment with a celebratory drink or two. If everyone has had their appraisals too, perhaps you should all go down the pub for some 'team building' and celebrate your success as a team!

Hi Deb, do you still want me to ask my manager about the 360 degree thing, or was Beau's link enough? :)

Only out of interest as a comparison if you have easy access to it, otherwise Beau's link was very informative. :o