Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fantastic Kuw Activity

As part of my performace managment my head is coming in to watch a half an hour KUW activity (either whole class or small groups). With no MT plans in place at the moment then I can do absolutely anything. I just wondered if anyone had anything absolutley fantastic that they had done in the past? It's not for 4 weeks so I can build more or less anything into my planning. Have been reading about the frozen teddy idea with interest.

Thanks in advance

well perhaps you could talk about hot and cold countries and when teddy arrives where has he come from?etc and how can we thaw him out?And then how could we get him back there?or WATER is a good one

Looking at

How do we use water?

Properties of water

water being not so easy to get in other countries

When we do this topic i pass a small water bottle round the circle one of dirty one of clean which would you rather drink?and explain that some people have water llike this perhaps you could raise money as a class for a well 'save a cow' I think

We practised carying things on our head and talked about balance and how long the people have to walk carrying water alot of the children talked about the scene in jungle book when the little girl was getting some water by the stream.(perhaps teddy could arrie anhow and that would bring in the properties of ice etc)

Not really relevant, but just something I did on the spur of the moment last week. I found some bath petals in the shape of rosebuds that were lavender fragranced. Having just removed our bath, they are now useless for me, so I took them in to spice up the water tray a bit. We put just one in, and to my amazement quite a little crowd gathered as it slowly dissolved, watching, commenting and discussing what they thought was going on. There was lots of lovely language and some interesting remarks made. They enjoyed the fragrance afterwards, as well. It might pay if you have any children with skin problems, to check first, though!

Sue

Have you looked at the activities in the profile handbook? I know Mundia made the fruit kebabs with her children and was impressed at how much the children got out of the activity.

You could link that to "Handa's surprise", so that your activity does not stand alone?

I did the frozen teddy last year when it snowed. It startd off as a KUW activity which went really well but ended up as a PSHE one cos the children were sooooo concerned about him. We did a circle time passing him round suggesting how he felt being so cold and lonely. They wrapped him up and put him by the radiator to warm up. We chose some names and did a tally on the one we liked best, so the bear was named "ARTHUR". During the day I saw children periodically go over to the radiator and give him a cuddle- it was so sweet. I took lots of photos and we made a scrap book.

Well, Arthur stayed! He went home with children each night and they "wrote" his diary. (a note went home with him so Mum would know what it was all about). By the end of the year Arthur had been to weddings, christenings, abroad on holiday, Butlins, watched swimming and ballet lessons and lots more.......

What started out as a session's activity it turned into the whole days work and continued..................all year!

Edited by Guest

I've done something similar to the frozen teddy - where we investigated how to keep teddy dry - we wrapped him up in different materials to make a raincoat and then using a pippette or watering can pretended this was a rain cloud and poured water over him to see what could keep him dry. The children were pretty good at talking about what would be best and began to say why and loved pouring the water over ted. Other than that we've made humpty dumpty from a real egg and then tried him falling off on to different surfaces to find out what happens and what is best to save him from cracking - one child followed up by spending the rest of the morning testing humpty round the classroom ( he was rather scrambled by the end!) I've also tried a bag of ice cubes in a builders tray and then we've added different things like food colouring , glitter , salt to them and talked about what happened - lots of language generated and opportunity to talk about changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ariel

I am in a reception class and was observed for KUW last week. we are doing minibeasts this half term i have tadepoles and we have talked about lifecycles. on the day i brought in boiled tapioca (just in water) to put into the water tray(with water). i put a spot of green food colouring and some black eyed beans to give it real effect. i also laminated some lilly pads and put in several plastic frogs and fish for the children to play with and float ontop of the lilly pads.

On my investigation table i had dried and weet pudding tapioca for children to smell, taste, feel hear etc. this was alos a free choice activity but my class are used to these types of feeling and tasting things and im fortunate that they are all allergy free. (rare)

we also put gardening equipment in wet sand and funnels etc in dry sand. i have a garden centre role play area with lots of child made flowers and we always have construction and other toys available. the children reallly enjoyed the tapioca, they couldnt get over eating frogspawn, even though i had expalined that it wasnt real frog spawn.

I have never heard of frozen teddy but he sounds interesting and something i will try to incorperate into next half term.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)