Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Urgent Advice Needed Please!

I am currently in my second year of teaching at a school which I really love however this school is around 45 mins away from my house. I am KS1/KS2 trained however I have been teaching in the Reception class of my school for the last 5 terms. My post is permanent and after 2 terms I was promoted (although no extra money involved) to FS coord. I have just seen 2 jobs advertised at the school which I went to as a child which is approx 1 min walk from my house however these jobs are both in Year 5. I have really enjoyed FS and am not sure I would enjoy year 5 as much however I can't help but feel that the FS teacher's job is all going to chage in a few years time (what with the into of EYPs etc) and therefore feel I should maybe go for this job as I might get phased out of FS eventually. I am very career orientated and was thinking of looking for a new job after Xmas anyway in order to further develop myself. I feel that I do have to seriously consider these jobs as I do have a young child and that extra time in the morn and at night would really make a massive difference.

Can I really know that FS is for me if I haven't done any other year groups? Also, if I stay in FS for say 5 years do you think it would be harder then to get a job in KS2 as opposed to now where I 've been in FS for less than 2 yrs? On the other hand although there is no extra pay do you think it is a good position to be in being FS coor at such an early point in my career and would I be silly for giving it up to become a class teacher with no additional responsibilities?

Sorry for all the questions but am so confused - any opinions welcome - I have to look round and apply by Friday if I am going to go for it!

Hi Mookie

Why don't you go and have a look and see how the school feels. I'm not in a school but i do live a few minutes from my setting so know how you feel about the time issue.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Hi Mookie, never think you will be employed as a teacher without any extra responsibilites. Coordinator roles are rarely paid extra although some positions will carry the new TLR!

It sounds to me that you need to go and look at this school and probably apply. An application does not guaranatee an interview or an appointment and you can always withdraw but it is rarely possible to apply after the closing date!

I can appreciate your wish to minimise your journey to work but also think carefully about whether you do want to be quite so close to your workplace. You may be find you have no private life! Also be prepared to be asked about this at interview, I was once many years ago and although I felt then that it would not have been a problem, I also like the distance between work and home now.

Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)