Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics Planning

Hi Hope you all have enjoyed the easter break! I am just trying to get back into planning for term ahead! Does anyone have any phonics planning for this term that they would not mind sharing? I have used Cat's plans before but now need some for summer term!

Many thanks

KT X

Hi these are my plans for the 1st half of the summer term. They are based on the ones Kat did with a mixture of PWS, foundations of literacy and L is for sheep activities in them. Give me a shout if you would like me to post the ones prior to these. I did think about changing my planning to the new structure of review/revisit - teach - practice - apply however I have decided to wait till I go on my phonics course this term and also until the new DfES playing with sounds (letters and sounds?) comes out next month.

Phonics_Summer_A.doc

All that work! It must have taken you hours of endless fun. :o Thank you so much as it's saved me hours. You really are a star. :D Thanks Mookie

Thanks Mookie - look great

Have to ask ... what does PWS stand for?

Also - how do you practise timetable this in your daily routine?

Reason I am asking is that I am slightly banboozaled by expectations at my school. There is a really big push on handwritting and they want me to integrate this with the phonic sessions/ group work. Not opposed to this completely - but logic and intuition also suggests that until children are secure in reading, decoding and segmenting - this is rather burdening their confidence.

Is it possible to see your daily timetable, so hat I could see if ther was a way in which I could make a slot for handwriting separate to the phonic work?

Cheers

Skylight

PWS is the "Playing with Sounds" document that is at the moment being rewritten. It is more FS friendly than its big brother PiPs (Progression in Phonics). Both ca be accessed from Standards site but if you use a recognised synthetic phonics scheme you may not need to supplement.

It is generally recognised that children should look, say, write as a sequence for learning letter/sound representations. So you could easily put a handwriting element into your daily phonics session, ie correct letter formation.

I prefer to teach the sounds and then recap them at a later date and show letter formation in families. Children can then more easily cope with the extra time that this takes although I do sometimes do some air writing alongside my phonic input.

Thanks for all you replies - I tend to work a couple of days in the holidays to get the phonics and maths planning done for the half term. Obviously it does change to take into account children's interests etc however they are a great base and it really cuts down the time I take to plan each week. Have a youngish baby so try to spend as much time at weekends with him!

They do take a lot of time however am fairly early into my career and like to have everything written down as a backup for myself. Am mainly KS2 trained and without this site I doubt I'd had even survived in FS never mind loved it so much, so it's nice to give something back and help others.

Skylight - After children have self registered in the morning we sit down and do approx 10/15 mins whole class phonics which is then followed by the phonic group activities. Within my phonics we air write the letters each day and we follow penpals handwriting scheme which one of our HLTAs does during my PPA time. Any of the phonic games that include writing letters e.g. full circle, finish it etc I do coach the handwriting points during these and as these are usually group activities I think they have a greater impact that one whole class session once a week (although as handwriting is a priority in my school too each class has a penpals handwriting session during the teacher's PPA). Can't find my memory stick to post myy timetable but will do as soon as I find it!

Penpals comes with a CD ROM and during the group part of my phonics I put this on the IWB with either the letter we have looked at that day or some handwriting patterns (zig zags, circles, etc) and the children access this independently.

....and also a thank you from me . The plans are tremendous - a great help and time saver and your sharing is much appreciated.

Have you noticed that on this Forum there are always lots of thank yous - on others I have seen its usually 'please can I have a copy too.......!'

:):) Thanks so much joined you guys today after you were recommended by a colleague and already you have saves me a whole day planning this.

Thanks again

Sue Jane

At the moment we don't use our medium term planning as it is about 15 yrs old and not very good to be honest. We are currently in the process of rewritng our medium term planning but yes, these will be in addition to my medium term plans. My medium term plans are all topic based however the Rose Review stated that phonics should be taught in a dialy discrete session therefore I will be keeping my phonics planning seperate although I will be changing it to the review-teach-practice-apply structure when I have been on my phonics course.

I'm new to this site not even sure if this will post but l'm amazed at this hidden gem of a site you lot are amazing and i'm looking forward to sharing my stuff too thanks mookie x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)