Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Work

This may sound a ridiculous question, but can you say to Reception children 'we are going to do some work now'? There is so much emphasis on learning through play, there often seems that avoidance of the word 'work'. Do other people use different phrases. Would love to other peoples thoughts

Laura

I never used to differentiate at all--- called it all work!

work in the sand, work in the home corner, work with the teacher.

Play is children's work.

have got out of the habit since I was on supply but will reintroducing this next term.

I know what you mean it concerns me that when we finally persaude some of the children to come to the craft table to do a mothers day card for example (pressure from parents)I cringe when the same children will say after doing a little sticking or scribbling a picture can i go and play now? :o

andrea, that also makes me really cringe, when the children say can we go and play now. How do I change that?

by the way thanks for replying so soon

well we changed our practise since i took over and every child does NOT have to do a craft each day however there are children that will stay the whole hours free play at one activity so we do encourage to try others also theres the children who having avoiding 'writing,cutting or drawing all their time with us we find hard to assess, these tend to be boys with the exception of a few girls so we try and bring these things into their play.eg.train tracks (planning to put together,reading diagrams etc)

As for these that say 'can i go and play now' i dont know laura :o i worry about them when they go over to school i am torn really and will read others points of view with great interest.

The hardest thing are parents that say what have you done today?or 'you never do anything'This little girl in particular did spend the whole of her first year up to her elbows in paint mind you!

We have a group that absolutly adore role playing and will quite literally do it all day,although I am confident we provide ample opportunites to write,count calculate,practise fine and gross motor skills etc within that play again im torn because i know that they wont be able to in reception (roleplay all day that is)so on one hand why shouldnt they now!!on the other hand perhaps i should be preparing them now!!At the moment we compromise but Im not sure wether im right or not!!!Any ideas anybody? :)

We have a group that absolutly adore role playing and will quite literally do it all day,although I am confident we provide ample opportunites to write,count calculate,practise fine and gross motor skills etc within that play again im torn because i know that they wont be able to in reception (roleplay all day that is)so on one hand why shouldnt they now!!on the other hand perhaps i should be preparing them now!!At the moment we compromise but Im not sure wether im right or not!!!Any ideas anybody? :)

Andrea,

One of my pet hates is this idea that we have to prepare children to do something by making them do it "because they'll have to do it next year". Surely the reason the children will be doing it next year is that by that stage they will be developmentally ready and making them do it this year is counter-productive, if you see what I mean. So my advice is go with your instincts and let the children play at role-play all day since that is where their interests lie and where their greatest learning will be taking place. You know you are providing a rich and balanced learning environment, so you will be covering the whole of the curriculum in all areas. :)

That's so true beau - children have to live, play and explore in the 'now' to enjoy the stage they're at - not forever being prepared for the next stage - I hate it when 2 and 3 year old children are sat in chairs for non interactive circle times "because they'll have to do it at school"- I love the quote by Cathy Nutbrown in 'Threads of Thinking' - "The best way to help children to get ready to be 5 years olds, is to allow them to be 3 year olds when they are 3 and 4 year olds when they are 4"

Sam

Thought I would share this observation I did on a child aged 3.5 yrs. When asked ( by me) to make a Mothers day card with the learning intention of 'why' we send Mothers day cards, ( think about why we love Mum and show her by giving a card), plus of course creative expression.

The observation shows that he did comply to the adult request to make a card, and participated in what Ofsted would call 'purposeful play', however always in the back of his mind he really wanted to make something for his dad, his intentions where distracted by the materials on offer not the purpose of the activity.

After 30 minutes he returned to his own plans/ intentions and made his dad a card. I wonder what the observation would have shown if he was able to make his dads card first, would the discussion on parent/child love and relationships have been more focused? His 'creative expression' may have been more meaningful to him too. We may never know because this activity was adult led in terms of purpose.

I was impressed with his ability and determination to complete what he initially intended / wanted to do, showing that he could sit and 'work' for a long period of time, to achieve his own set goals.

Peggy

observation_Mothers_day_card.doc

I sympathise with some of the above comments.

We have whole class carpet sessions and then 'activities'. In the midst of last term one little person stated that the Phonic group work wasn't a 'real' activitiy. Upon asking why it was due to some of the other 'sort' activities taking place that were the distraction. I have since introduced a 'quiet' time when there are still a number of things going on but providing less distraction. I also orchestrated a 'mysterious' letter to the class addressed to one child c/o reception. I used this as an example as children were sooooo curious to know what it said. (I got the receptionist to deliver it and 'ham' up)

It led to discussing why reading and writing can be fun and the benefits etc. in a slightly cruel way of ' why don't you read it?'

It also made me reflect on how we could 'elavate' the importance of reading etc. alongside makingf the activities more stimulating.

Going off track a little ... Peggy, how did you manage to write such a detailed observation? did you use a dictaphone?

"Going off track a little ... Peggy, how did you manage to write such a detailed observation? did you use a dictaphone?"

No, I have tried dictaphones but find that background noise interferes too much, and it is like doing the task twice ( once recording then re listening/typing)

I think this was quite an easy observation because

1/ I was prepared for it

2/ it was mainly one sided, yes a few comments from me but mainly the childs comments.

3/ within My obs notes I used diagrams ie the U shaped piece of paper I drew.

4/ I wrote the context, date, etc after the actual obs not at the beginning when I needed to be concentrating and writing about the child.

5/ I had no distractions because my staff were aware I was doing an obs.

I have backed the obs up with a photocopy of the 'end product' which I have put in his achievement file. ( Mum & Dad having the originals :D )

Peggy

After sitting with a child to hear her read she turned to me and said:

'I must really get back to my busyness'

Not sure whether she meant 'business' or called it that as am often asking 'what are you busy with' either way I thought just how important she valued what she was playing with at the time (and also sounding like a lady out of Jane Austen!) :D

:) Everything in our class is a 'job' be it an adult focused task to independent tasks/play.

The children always make me smile when we have been outside or indoors learning and they say 'we havent done any jobs today'. Little do they know they have been 'working'.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)